Whats wrong?

coryatver

For the past few months my car has been starting wierd. Sometimes I turn the key it fires right up. Sometimes it will just click. Then I try again and it will click again. Then I try again and it will start up. I don't know whats wrong. Do I need a new key ignition switch or is it the starter or coil or something else? This has been going on for a while I can get it to start up eventually if I keep turning the key. It is just rather embarrising sitting there trying to get my car started and all it does is make a click each time i turn the key.

Frustating isn't it. :sad:You can put a volt meter on the bottom big lug on the back of the starter solenoid. (has the strap running into the starter)

When it just clicks if there is 12v to that lug it's your starter. If no voltage its your selenoid. I would do this at least a couple of times to make sure.

If one or the other is bad I would replace them both or rebuild them yourself.

Good luck

Jud

Your car is a 94... I'm not sure if Lumina engine bay is similar or the same as GPs.... but with the 94-96 GPs a common problem is the bolt on the positive aux terminal (to the fuse box by the battery) becomes loose. Try taking the bolt off, cleaning things up, and tighten the hell out of it. I had the exact same symptoms with my car and that was the problem.

Ive had that for the past three years. my starter is brand new, so i know it's not that. I'll clean up that terminal and let ya know if it helps, as its been getting really bad lately, to the point where sometimes i think it wont start at all because i have to wait like 10 minutes or so

been there, done that.

replace the nut!!!!!!

sometime in the 95 model year the replaced the thin copper nut you are trying to tighten with a real nut.

the copper one will stretch like a mother and get loose over and over.

next time you are is a yard. find a 95+ and grab the nut.....

It is the same threads as the strut towers, btw, but those are oblongated (pinching) nuts...

been there, done that.

replace the nut!!!!!!

sometime in the 95 model year the replaced the thin copper nut you are trying to tighten with a real nut.

the copper one will stretch like a mother and get loose over and over.

next time you are is a yard. find a 95+ and grab the nut.....

It is the same threads as the strut towers, btw, but those are oblongated (pinching) nuts...

Wow, I was wondering why my GP never had this problem...

Wow, I was wondering why my GP never had this problem...

Because older GP's are solid :rolleyes:.. I myself never had this problem either.. must be luck of the draw

you should be able to get a nut at a hardware store.. just make sure its not coppor or alluminum.. cant remember if they make them in aluminum anymore.. man my spelling sucks..