TGP T.V. (kickdown) cable...same as N/A with 4T60?

GOT2B GM

Just as the thread topic asks....is the TGP T.V. cable (or kickdown cable as some call it) the same as one from a 90 Grand Prix with an LH0 and a 4T60?

If anyone has a part number for the T.V. cable, especially if it is TGP specific, it would be greatly appreciated.

The plastic clip that attaches the cable to the throttle body cracked as I was removing the clip from the pin on the TB.

I now have the plenum, LIM and valve covers off of the TGP as I am doing the 1.6 rocker upgrade from a 94-95 3100.

[start rant]

Turns out that Jeff (kuntzie) who I bought the car off of this past winter, doesn't know how to tighten spark plugs. Two of them were LOOSE!! One on the rear bank (#1) and one on the front bank (#4). I just put the socket on them and spun them out by hand...no ratchet! The #1 plug even had carbon over the porcelin from exhaust leaking by the threads. Luckily the threads don't LOOK damaged from what I can see with a flashlight and an inspection mirror. I'll find out for sure tomorrow when I put new plugs in...with antiseize and a torque wrench!! All I know is...if I have to remove the heads to fix damaged spark plug threads, I'm gonna be pissed.

[end rant]

Hopefully she'll be up and running again by the end of the week. It's like owning a Harley Davidson, drive her on the weekends and then fix it all week :lol:

Thanks for reading.

If you have the cable can I pick it tomorrow as well as the intercooler? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten the plugs when you installed them?

[br]Posted on: May 09, 2006, 01:16:17 AM_________________________________________________And holy fuck I'd NEVER pay $152 USD for a CABLE!

tightened by hand (with the spark plug socket on the spark plug) then gave it another 1/8- 1/4 turn... didnt own a tq wrench atthe time... never had a problem doing them that way before[br]Posted on: May 09, 2006, 02:22:52 AM_________________________________________________also as said before whnen i changed the spark plugs.... #4 was lose as i also put the sparkplug socket on it and it almost fell out... well not really but it was loose and i didnt think the socket was gripping/ on the plug at first

Jeff...I sent you a PM[br]Posted on: May 09, 2006, 01:34:03 AM_________________________________________________So...I have yet to determine......is the TV cable TGP specific or can I use one from a N/A car with a 4T60?

UPDATE:

Well I went and priced out a TV Cable for the TGP at the dealer and they wanted $270 CDN wholesale!!! Needless to say I just laughed at them. So, off I went to Earls Auto Wreckers where I picked a TV cable from a Lumina 3.1 for $10.

It is EXACTLY the same length with all the same clips and brackets. The ONLY difference is that the one for the TGP has a metal tube covering the transmission end of the cable, assumingly for the extra heat. The one from the Lumina has a plastic tube instead, so I just wrapped the first 6 inches tightly with header wrap. If it melts, I'll buy another one and make a little heat shield for it.

Anyways, I have my 95 3100 1.6 rocker arms, pivot balls, studs and pushrod guides installed in the motor. I also installed brand new 90 GP Federal Mogul pushrods and a new LIM gasket.

I bought some new NGK Iridium spark plugs and torqued them in with antiseize to 20ft/lbs. They torqued down fine so the threads must be ok.

I get my LIM back from the machine shop tomorrow and then I'll continue reassembling.

The kickdown cable on both of my '89 TGPs were plastic and the one on my '90 Lumina had a metal shield. I used the metal one on a TGP trans when I swapped the LG5 into the Lumina and it's still working to this day afaik. :cool:

:lol: I heat shielded the hell out of mine with like 3 layers and bent some bare copper wire that I had around it to tie it on. I think if the NA kickdown is identical, that would be better to use because any TGP one is probably going to be streched out from all that heat (x-over, turbine housing,AND downpipe). of course I thought mine was worse than it was because my tach is off like a couple thousand rpms according to my dyno results. :rolleyes: freaked me out enough to pay the $$$ tripple digits for the cable, but it did help alot. mine WAS shot after I inspected it and the plastic around the cable was so brittle it just crumbled off.

I like my ngk iridiums too, they work pretty good. they got autolite iridiums now at napa so I am gonna try to get a correct part # for those this week or next. the AC r42lts gapped at .040 is the old standby. the ngk's are the only Iridium I have found so far with the same heat range and gap. I think they are .0398 or something.

Well its damn near 5am EST and she's back up and running. I did the throttle body heater bypass while I had it apart, just to make things easier next time I take the plenum off. I have yet to take it for a drive to see how the TV cable works, I'll do that when I wake up tomorrow. It'll be interesting to see if my ass dyno shows any gains from my 1.6 rockers. lol