What kind of exhuast manifolds do we have?

Guest cutlass88er

Guest cutlass88er

While changing the oil the other day I broke the my oil dipstick, don't worry I didn't lose it "in the engine." I stopped by Checkers and they had really sucky one, looked like they may go into some lawnmover. But anyways I called a dealer and they asked me if I had a stainless steel or aluminium exhuast manifold and I have no clue which one I have or where to find out. He said that they were different part numbers, and of course like always they didn'[t have them in stock and would have to order them from lansing.

My car is a 88 Olds CS with the 2.8l engine and the 440-T4 "tranny".

Thanks

Dennis

You can usually tell by looking. The stainless steel ones are more header-like and tubular (although not true headers). The iron ones have a bumpy cast finish are are usually a brown-orange rust color.

The stainless steel ones are pretty rare, they were used '88 only and I've never actually seen a W-body that had them.

It's pretty typical if GM can get by with spending less, they will!

No joke! The 60v6 was switched to DIS when, 88 or so, and yet to this date it still has that distributor plug and o-ring :evil:

I guess it was cheaper to continue manufacturing those useless distributor plugs rather than redesign the crankshaft to drive the oil pump!

Not cheaper for us, though!