Front strut

Chinski

A couple years back I had my front struts replaced (Monroe Sensatrac). Recently I have been hearing this noise when I hit a bump/hole in the road. Its hard to describe the noise but it sounded to me like something was loose. I looked all over in the wheel well and everything appears normal to me. I decided to take off the strut mount covers on both sides and compae what I could see inside. I took off the pass. side which was not making the noise, then the drivers side which was the one making the noise. Nothing happened when I took off the one on the pass side but when I took off the other one this rubber thing and rod slowly started popping up at me. What's the deal? I don't think its supposed to do this right? I'm thinking I should just take it back to the shop next time I can and have them deal with it cause I think the struts had lifetime waranty, but if its an easy fix maybe I'll just do it myself. And looking through this haynes manual I have, it doesn't sound to hard, but if I need to change the cartridge do i really have to remove the hood like it says to???

Yes, it's normal for the rubber bushing and strut rod to pop up. Usually the rubber bushing fits snug in the hole so it doesn't pop out when you remove the cover, but sometimes it's not so snug. That's precisely the reason why we have those caps.

No, you don't have to remove the hood to change the cartridge.