I want to hook up my MP3 player....

THe_DeTAiL3R

I want to hook up my MP3 player (and/or maybe laptop) to my stereo

It's a Kenwood headunit with no RCA or front input. I'm assuming the only way would be an FM modulator? Any other way I don't know of??

Is there an AUX imput on your HU? If not, you might be able to use the cig lighter. My friend did that on my car, hooked up his ipod/mp3 player into the cig lighter and it worked. I honestly couldnt tell you how he did it though...

Can your Kenwood control a cd changer?? I forget what that port is called (round one with several pins in it)....anyway that might be able to help you...however it's main function is controlling, so maybe it won't work...I'm not sure. You're sure you don't have rear RCA inputs??

EDIT: Oops I forgot to check out that link before I posted....looks like that link will help you Dave!

I think you can access it with the source button...my friend's Sony H/U controls a 10 cd changer. The CD in the deck is CD1, and the changer is called CD2

So a new source will add itself? Cool :)

How does this one look? I like the idea of having RCAs instead of headphone size so I can easily connect other things. Plus this comes with 6ft cord which is an adapter anyways :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kenwood-to-RCA-iPod-Aux-Input-Adapter-XM-Sirius-MP3-NEW_W0QQitemZ9723444344QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

So a new source will add itself? Cool :)

How does this one look? I like the idea of having RCAs instead of headphone size so I can easily connect other things. Plus this comes with 6ft cord which is an adapter anyways :)

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Kenwood-to-RCA-iPod-Aux-Input-Adapter-XM-Sirius-MP3-NEW_W0QQitemZ9723444344QQcategoryZ60208QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

that should work perfectly.....just do a good job hiding all those wires :thumb:

that should work perfectly.....just do a good job hiding all those wires :thumb:

Well considering I have the following:

- Components (tweeters only thing that look aftermarket- however one person thought they came factory! :mrgreen:)

- SWRC interface

- amps/subwoofer (it's a mess in the trunk though, but I'll clean it up eventually)

In the interior you can't see any of the wires, I keep it nice and neat. Everything is hidden under the dash includig the crossovers.

I like everything to look like it came that way from the factory. "Better than stock" is what I'm going for rather than "custom". ;)

Time to click "buy it now" lol

For Pioneer guys like myself i used this...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=41808.0;attach=562

I bought the "generic" version of the CDRB10 for the Impaler off of eBay for $10 and it works great with our Pioneer Airware XM tuner.

You might want to check your owner's manual to see if there's an "Auxillary" mode that can be switched on and off. On the Pioneer, I had to switch on the Aux mode (in the "audio" menu) to be able to use the CD changer control as an Auxillary input with the adapter cable.

For Pioneer guys like myself i used this...

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=41808.0;attach=562

I bought the "generic" version of the CDRB10 for the Impaler off of eBay for $10 and it works great with our Pioneer Airware XM tuner.

You might want to check your owner's manual to see if there's an "Auxillary" mode that can be switched on and off. On the Pioneer, I had to switch on the Aux mode (in the "audio" menu) to be able to use the CD changer control as an Auxillary input with the adapter cable.

I have the same thing myself, but it doesn't have that box, just two female RCA jacks. I had to shut the HU off and hold the Function button, and it gives an AUX option after a few button presses.

• 2 months later...

Hi, I'm really not satisfied with the cheap FM modulator I got off ebay, so I'm looking at doing the same thing as the OP (putting in an auxiliary audio input jack), but for my factory '89 GP stereo. I haven't taken a look under the dash yet, but I just thought I would post here to see if anyone has any good advice (like what to wire up to the headphone jack, if it's that easy).

A hardwired FM modulator would work for you. It ties in through your factory antenna. You would need to also wire in a pos, neg, and auxilary wire. They usually have an RCA style input, but you can also pick up an rca to headphone jack cable.

I think there may be one or two more options as well.

An FM modulator that allows you to play MP3s from a flash player to your 'stock' AM/FM radio at 88 to 87 MHz, no station channel.

I put a bunch of MP3 songs on a 512MB USB lash and plugged it into the 12V cigar lighter. An MP3 is about 3000KB so I sould get about 170 songs on a flash player. I can also plug my IPOD directl into it if I want. No 'aftermarket units and it looks good and is accessibly right there next to the HVAC on my 92. With 'good' speakers, the sound quality is not bad. I got it at WalMartfor about $30- here is a link-

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=3579125

They have a more feature filled version for $50 more-

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4744709

But this works just fine.

Here is the mfg site-

http://www.vr-3.com/vr3_fmmod.php

Thanks for the tip, but I've seen those on ebay for about $5. The reasons I dont want one of those are that (A) I already have an mp3 player, so I dont want to have to buy a usb flash drive to use that, and (B) I already have something identical in function, but it doesnt plug into the cig lighter, and doesnt play off a usb stick, and I need better quality sound.

I'm thinking wired fm modulator would be easiest, but more expensive than just wiring it up. I might try going the cheap route first...