disconnecting the cruise control module?

briandors

1995 Cutlass Supreme.

I'm trying to replace my cruise control module. Service manual just says to disconnect cable at throttle body (not sure if this is necessary??) and then to twist and pull off cable at module. Well when I disconnect the outer part of the cable at the module and pull, there is a nylon strap inside that I assume goes from the stepper motor to the metal cable that pulls the throttle plate.

How do I disconnect the cable at the module??

Thanks

Brian[br]Posted on: May 07, 2006, 02:45:05 PM_________________________________________________Anyone out there who's replaced their cruise control module?? Preferably the later electronic style instead of vacuum.

I was just following the service manual, it made it sound like I have to disconnect the cable at the module.

Is this not the case?

I do not have the new module yet. I was going to borrow one from my uncle's Cutlass to just test it out. So I gotta know how to properly swap these modules.

what is wrong with the old one?

test for vacuum at the vacuum line conecting to the CC. a non-working cc is sometimes caused by a vacuum leak.

also... do your vents switch properly? vents are sourced off of the same vac feed!

If you're going to use your uncle's module, don't bother disconnecting the cable from either cruise module. Although I've never swapped one, it appears that you should just be able to disconnect the cable from the throttle body and unbolt the cruise module with the cable still attached to it. Sounds to me like removing the cable from the module is more work than necessary.

test for vacuum at the vacuum line conecting to the CC. a non-working cc is sometimes caused by a vacuum leak.

Starting with MY 1994, they switched to an electronic cruise module, so his 95 won't have any vacuum lines running to it.

Yes, 94+ is all electronic. No vacuum lines.

He has a 97 sedan, mine is a 95 convertible. I will have to pop both of our hoods and see if the cables are the same length.

If so that's a good idea.