Another GTP Fire.

ron350

Glad I have an L36. It seems that most of the fires are L67 cars. It seems people are suspecting the o-rings on the fuel rail quick connects as the cause.

well it's kinda mystery to me...i only had one go up...he had taken it to a midas and they had folded his fuel line...i wanted to replace it and he balked at the price of a new line...3 months later it went up...the back of the engine compartment and cowl/dash was fucked, windshield was blistered, but the bumper and both fenders were nearly perfect.

unfortunatly that car in the link has the battery/air cleaner area as the most damaged...i'm betting he had a crappy stereo wiring install...the dashpad area of the car in the link was nearly untouched ...the fire started in the left front area ...

that car right there had the fire epi-center (look at the worst damaged area of the hood, hood skeleton and front bumper) in the wrong area for a fuel rail/line fire...

i've seen too many people who put 100amp fuses in their main amp wire when the amps only draw (at a PEAK!) 40-60 amps (they seem to think that the bigger fuse makes more power :rolleyes:)

a rub through type short circuit that is enough to set the wire jacket on fire isnt gonna draw 100 amps long enough to pop one of the larger fuses...and the plastics under the hood nowadays can be it's own accelerant...

That sucks. So what was the cause of the fire?? I know that they mentioned something about the fule rails leaking but was that what caused it??

I know GM had a Recall on some L67 W's for fires. My Regal was one of them. But the Recall had been done already. :)

DSC01576%20(Small).JPG

Not sure if this same Recall affects GP's but here's the one on for my Regal

Vehicle: 1999 Buick Regal

Defect Description:

Some of these vehicles with the key in the "on" position, exhibit a condition in which the antilock brake system (ABS) motor shorts to its case and grounds through a flexible brake fluid pipe.

Consequence of Defect:

This short can cause extreme heating of the flexible brake pipe where it can melt a nearby flexible plastic fuel hose, which could result in an underhood fire.

Corrective Action:

Dealers will install a ground cable from the electronic brake control module (EBCM) to the engine compartment body rail.

I'm surprised the media hasn't attacked these as they did with the Ford Trucks faulty brake/cruise switch catching on fire. Those have taken out many houses with them, which is more dramatic. I guess that's why the media covered that and not this.

I still don't get exactly why the L67s are catching on fire? Is it really the fuel lines? Wouldn't you be able to see traces of a fuel leak way before it became a fire hazzard? It's probably because of that engine cover, few people take the time to inspect under them when the car is being serviced.

Thoughts?

Goddamn. That's amazing. This is really making me wary of buying anything with an L67... but the first thing I'd do is replace the injector o-rings and perform that recall myself.

The problem is almost always caused by old injector O-rings. They're cheap. Why the hell don't people replace them..?

not from the dealer

60 bucks.

and i couldnt find anyone local to buy em from, so i bought some online.

unfortunatly that car in the link has the battery/air cleaner area as the most damaged...i'm betting he had a crappy stereo wiring install...the dashpad area of the car in the link was nearly untouched ...the fire started in the left front area ...

Unfortunately, it does not look like an electrical fire to me. Since the battery is on the other side of the car and all. (passenger side, not drivers side like first gens) It started in the left front area like you said, and that just happens to be where the fuel rail quick connects are.

My buddy and I just replaced his SC with a ported one. We couldn't find the O-rings for the rails on the top of the blower....um definatly going to the dealer now.

someone forgot to change his supercharger oil.... But that does suck

sorry, but the o rings on the injectors are to blame on these motors chief ...

The problem is almost always caused by old injector O-rings. They're cheap. Why the hell don't people replace them..?

you beat me

The fuel line o-rings have not been ruled out as a definitive answer for any of these fires that I'm aware of. They are however one of the most likely sources. I've never had a fuel o-ring leak on any of my GM cars, I replaced the original ones on my '93 GP at well over 200,000 miles(they weren't in bad shape then, but I replaced them anyways). If the fuel rails on these GTP's that have caught fire have been cracked open before, it's very likely that the o-rings became pinched/knicked/cut during installation which lead to leaks. Another precautionary measure with L67's is to change the valve cover gaskets, they all seem to leak past 60-70,000 miles(L67's get pretty damn hot under the hood even during normal driving and when driving hard, it's scorching under there... so that oil dripping right onto the exhaust manifolds could potentially ignite).

Just FWIW, we had a L36 powered Buick Regal at the school's auto shop. A lot of people disconnected the fuel rails on it(for various projects) and sometimes I would find that the quick disconnects were not properly seated and seeped a little fuel.

IT is not a GTP problem only,

I would like to inform everytone that my favorite j/y has two GT's that were fire toasted. both had a fire start in the drivers side front based on the most heat damage....

I'm not on club GP... I've never owned a GP... but I read their thread, so if someone will kindly post my post overthere.

thanks - Crazy K.

first gen? WTF is that? first generation??? i see that tossed around on clubGP all the time. what about FIRST GEN or SECOND GEN?? /end rant.

Man that sucks. I wonder what the cause was? If it was a fuel leak, wouldn't it have started when the engine was still running?

Looking at that interoir shot, the radio looks stock...

-Jason

I saw three of them today just like that one. All red, all started in drivers front corner, all were supercharged..

Glad to see this got posted over here. I have been pretty busy as of late and haven't gotten around to posting it here. I am hoping that people can learn from this because awareness is always a good thing. If it is the o rings starting the whole mess, people need to know to change them or this crap happens. It was a rather crappy day for me.

By the way, that was my car...

eric that sucks man....i heard that they're trying to get people to sign a petition or something to send to GM for something to be "done" with this..

however im not sure if GM will have any type of solution for them....

ive only seen 1 toasted GTP in the yard, and it was hella burnt. the m90 was melted down over the block, yet someone still pulled th emotor outta

first gen? WTF is that? first generation??? i see that tossed around on clubGP all the time. what about FIRST GEN or SECOND GEN?? /end rant.

Ya its usually the first gen fuckers saying that too! haha