how do i reinstall trunk springs?

Guest TurboSedan

Guest TurboSedan

well they aren't really springs...more like the two rods that keep the trunk up when you open it. the end bracket on one of the rods was all bent up so i took it out. i also took the other one out but i cannot for the life of me figure out how to get them back in? it seems like i could get them in if i could open up the trunk further but the rubber stops prevent doing that. and they are riveted on so i can't just take them off.

this is for my TSTE. if anyone knows the trick to this let me know

thanks

You have to twist them in place....

Install one end , then use a pipe or something over the bent part of it and twist it into notches...

I had to do it while lying on my back .... in the trunk.

Good Luck with that. Sounds like a good way to lose an eye or something.

Can you put lifts on it like a newer car (Or the hood) somehow?

not to offend or anything but I would have to say screw it. its not worth the hassle. I hate them and I end up taking them out anyways cause my sub makes them rattle too muchl.

to each his own

Good Luck with that. Sounds like a good way to lose an eye or something.

Can you put lifts on it like a newer car (Or the hood) somehow?

Thats why I had them out... i was trying to figure out a way to install a set , then I realized, these are the most efficiant use of space. The little gas struts + brackets would use up much more room. The GM engineers did it right....

If you want to you can adjust how much "lift" they make by adjusting which notch they sit in....If you climb in there, you will see what I mean.

You have to twist them in place....

Install one end , then use a pipe or something over the bent part of it and twist it into notches...

I had to do it while lying on my back .... in the trunk.

Yup. I switched mine to the lower-tension setting, and it took a long time to work it back in the notch. Good luck!

Guest TurboSedan

not to offend or anything but I would have to say screw it. its not worth the hassle. I hate them and I end up taking them out anyways cause my sub makes them rattle too muchl.

to each his own

yeah but it sucks having to hold the trunk up yourself. and i'm not going to carry a prop rod in the trunk i want these things to work.

Lee - i'm not really sure what you mean by twisting them into place? fwiw these are alot different than the trunk spring setup in my Cutlass. you'd think all W-bodies would have the same setup but that's not the case :neutral:

In my Lumina you just twist those rods over once and hook them into the notchs in the trunk. If you have a spolier type thing you'll want more tension to overcome the extra weight. Use a small piece of pipe or maybe a small socket on the ratchet (taking care not to let it pop out of the socket end) and torque the ends onto the notch cutouts....I figured all W's are like this...if it is not post pics of your setup!

Actually, I set mine to the lower-tension setting because of the spoiler. When it pops up fast and slams into the stopping point when it's wide open, I didn't want it to stress out my spoiler mounts. It'll still open pretty quickly on the weaker setting with a spoiler.

Cool.....Mine is set in the middle position I think and it pops up half way but all all the way....so I'm happy. One time the wind caught it when I popped the trunk and I thought I would have screw up the hinges hardcore....luckily I didn't..

Cool.....Mine is set in the middle position I think and it pops up half way but all all the way....so I'm happy. One time the wind caught it when I popped the trunk and I thought I would have screw up the hinges hardcore....luckily I didn't..

Yeah, mine pops up HARD every time. I haven't seen any other w-body trunklids opening, so I don't even know if it's normal.