new member-90 TGP

garyk1970

hello everyone,just bought tgp two days ago,looking for you guys wisdom on the upgrades I can do.car is stock.ive had turbo regals (gns,t-types)and im efficent at modifing them.looked over this site for the last two days and noticed some mods, i dont want to mis anything.ive read here that first gear is tuned down to help in handling/traction,save trans/motor.first gear at wot in this car is VERY slow and doesnt increase rpm.did some checks ,close inspection looks as if car is very rich.new o2 on car.no c.e.l., no codes.i havent had a turbo car in awhile,good to hear that whistle!i know of alot of regal mods,im sure some apply here.whats worked for you guys?chip,k&n,anyone ever wash out intercooler?they will clog up from the pvc tube dumping oil.looks like the accordian style intercooler pipes are restrictive.any good pipes/clamp sets out there?thanks in advance!Gary

im in the process of detailing car when it started raining.if you want it to snow ill wax it!!!red ext.,tan int.,awfull gold wheel centers!!they will be black or silver this weekend.ill take photos then....

Welcome aboard!! Is the exhaust crossover pipe in good condition? (no cracks) If it is leaking, it will cause the car to run very rich. You may want to ohm out your injectors to make sure they are in good working order as well. Post pics when you get a chance...

i hope its not the crossover pipe.looks like a job not to mention the expense.

Is that a 2+2 in the background?? :eek: I have a friend of mine who is restoring one. I keep hammering him to put a Grand National drivetrain in it!! :lol:

If you need a cross-over let me know via a PM. :cool:

yes thats my 2+2.my mom bought TWO of them and gave me this one.she got the nicer one lol.gn drive train is an excellent idea,thats what my turbo riviera is for (motor donor)getting the parts to update to an 86-87 intercooled setup.we have the same idea ,are we lost brothers?

i hope its not the crossover pipe.looks like a job not to mention the expense.

The crossover pipe is actually pretty easy to remove. All you have to do is remove the turbo from it (9 bolts plus intake tube), then unbolt the 4 nuts for the flanges on the crossover, then there is one or two nuts holding it onto the tranny mount, and it comes right out. It takes ~25 minutes or less to do. They just make it look hard.

If yours is stock it IS leaking and is probably what is causing your rich condition.

Shawn

yes thats my 2+2.my mom bought TWO of them and gave me this one.she got the nicer one lol.gn drive train is an excellent idea,thats what my turbo riviera is for (motor donor)getting the parts to update to an 86-87 intercooled setup.we have the same idea ,are we lost brothers?

Well considering the V8 (what a 305?) they put in those had less power to weight ratio than most Chevettes of that day :lol: I always thought a GN drivetrain would slide right in place. :wink: I was never really a fan of those cars...but then again that goes after my deep rooted hatred for NASCAR. The only reason Pontiac build those 2+2 models with the bubble window was so they could cheat the aero-dynamics of the day in the NASCAR roundy round tracks. :cool:

i lucked up big time....car was running rich so i decided to take off crossover and inspect.i decided to unhook battery for safety and found pos term corroded and loose and neg term loose.i cleaned both terminals and tightened and whalla!!car runs perfect.still would like more boost.on turbo regals you can buy"pills"that are basically very small jets that go in the vaccum line to the wastegate and force line to loose a small amount of vaccum.im going to try the 3psi and 5 psi pill for fun and see if the fuel pump can keep up.i read that it is a vette pump it should be able to....