Difference between diesel antifreeze and regular

roomylumy

I had a friend who just called me and said he accidently put about 2 litres of diesel antifreeze in his GP. What is the difference and does he have anything to be concerned about. He added water after, equal amounts. Thanks for the input.

You mean antifreeze for diesel fuel!?! He might want to drain that out, I don't know what the compatibility is like between water pump seal/impeller/hoses etc and a solvent based fuel product

There is Anti-Gel for diesel... I use it in the winter. Defintally don't want that in your coolant... it's mainly diesel fuel and may eat rubber hoses!!!

tech1.jpg

I'm suprized he didn't notice right away... it would float on water, and it's very stinkee. It's also clearish... not green.

Now if he means radiator coolant... I'm not aware of a different coolant for diesel engines. (VW has used the same coolant in all their engines, gas and diesel, sence 1997)

His GP doesn't have a DexCool system? Don't wanna mix anything with that...

-Jason

It was radiator coolant for diesel engines. I am not aware of the difference, that is what I was wondering. Anyway, I am going to flush it and clean it this weekend for him. Hopefully a couple of days won't hurt.

Coolant for diesel engines have additional additives to prevent erosion and cavitation which can occur due to the very high compression and the fact that some diesel engines use wet cylinder sleeves.

I wouldn't bother flushing it but that's just me.

Wierd... I use the same coolant in mine (which has 19.5:1 compression) as the 2.0 gas engines (which is 10:1 I believe?)

Do you know what brand the coolant he added is? If it's compatable with what was in there allready, there's no real reason to flush it...

-Jason

i'd flush it, but that's just me....there will be additional detergents and stuff that his coolant system may not be designed for. I know there is a difference between what my dad puts in his 6.5TD and what we use in all the other vehicles....