The official Project thread of Stevezasycho *7/24/06: Engine Pics!! 56k- NO!!*

Dirty Rockstar

Well guys, this is going to be my project thread! :cool: Got the idea from a member on ABody.net to put it all in one thread instead of 4-27 other threads across the site.. And wouldn't ya know, I have a couple pics to kick it all off with! :mrgreen: But first, some background on what was done here:

My friend Pete and myself went to where the Lumina, "Project Black", or "Nemo" (Long story- Basically I found a kids Nemo toy in the car tearing it down) is stored and we first began by pulling it out, turning it around, and floor drying the hell out of the floor so as not to kill ourselves.. After that, we backed the car in, and opened all the doors.. Time to break into this hot rod! :flamingdevil: We began by removing the seats.. The ugly Dk. Blue needed to go, and I was hella happy to pull all that nasty shit out.. Out canme the fronts, then the rear.. QUite the leg room at this point.. Then we started to pull up the carpet and were about blown out the doors.. Apparently water had leaked or SOMETHING because there was a significant amount of moisture under the carpet.. Nasty.. Smelled so gross.. (I have a cold, so smelling things is tough.. ANd I could smell it.. Poor Pete.. Sorry man..) So basically the entire interior has been gutted except for the steering column, front seat belts, and dash harness.. As promised, here are a couple cam phone pics.. Enjoy..

0423061403.jpg

Full Image View

0423061403a.jpg

Full Image View

More to come.. The reason the lengthy delays on this is mainly the parts gathering is taking longer than anticipated.. But all this stuff is coming together quite nicely :cool:

its about time that i hear about some progress on the lumina project. i so rarely get to talk to you anymore for one reason or another, hit me up sometime on IM.

Damn right its about time :willynilly: I've been wanting to dig in so bad, and Im glad I finally did.. Next up, I believe i am going to drop the subframe/engine/trans assemblyjust to get that garbage out.. Then I think I will POR-15 the damn thing.. I am also going to grab up a new Subframe that will enable me to put in an LQ1 (Got something in store for that too :wink: ).. But once the engine and transmission are out, things will pretty much slow down on the powertrain front (Unless I can get my last few 5 speed parts for it.. Then my freshly rebuilt 3.1 and 282 can be dropped in).. I am expecting a rear bench seat soon from Jay (NeverSatisfied) that I thought I would never find.. FOr those out of the know, Jay found that 3.4/284 STE in the JY.. Also happened to have charcoal leather.. And the seats were still there! So, I have an actual Sedan bench, from a GP to match the stitching of the Coupe seats I picked up in Feb. Also got a 34MM sway bar, 4 KYB GR-2s, and am going to do the FFP coilovers in the rear.. Also have a set of ST lowering springs I picked up from a "sorta" local MN Member for 100 bucks.. That was a nice drive.. Can't wait to tear into the thing some more, so I can ultimately put it all back together.. Gonna be the hottest Lumina ever I think.. At least the state of MN has ever seen.. Maybe even the hottest W? We'll have to wait and see, won't we? :mrgreen:

What all are you trying to do Steve?

damn and i was gonna say yer making it a twin, twin dual cam LQ1 ( LumiQ1 :willynilly: )

have fun with the project man

James

An Update for 5/2/06:

Picked up my SUnroof for it today! Came from a 1995 Grand Prix GT, and is assumed working.. WIll be testing it out when I have a spare moment.. I also found a mint sedan rear bench from the same car in leather that I need, so I am going to pick it up also when I have spare moment (Hopin saturday here)

From this same car, I also snapped up the Power mirror switch, seeing as how it is exactly what I want: The small knob that controls both sides, instead of the big "arrow" style control.. THe main thing I will be going back there for is the seat in the event Jay (NeverSatisfied) and I can't get the STE rear bench shipped here for less than $200 :willynilly:

I also heard from a friend of mine who visited the car, it is dry in the cabin now.. All the water once trapped beneath the carpet is a thing of the past.. The next target on the agenda for removal from the car is the engine and transmission.. We will be dropping the cradle completely out of the car, and (hopefully) swapping the whole thing out for a newer subframe that will allow the installation of a 3.4 :twisted:

On the "Parts Gathering" front, I still need a shit ton of small things.. The most crucial being the Intermediate shaft bracket for the 282, and a memcal for a 3.1/282 ECM.. I also need to get new crpet, floormats, HVAC control parts, and of course, my slew of Audio components.. THe Audio system is going to be a rather lengthy and large install, because I want the Lumina to be not just a ride, but an experience in both audio and what you see with your eyes..

The leather wrapped shift knob for the car is here, and will be carefully disected to see how it is stitched, then new black leather will be bought to go back over the knob, in the same GM factory stitching.. (I can disect it because the current leather there is in rough shape anyway..)

I will be heading down to the car here soo, and go around with a sharpie, circling things I can fix, or "X-ing" out entire body panels I will be replacing.. I want this thing to be straight as an arrow, and smooth as glass.. THe paint job on it better remind me of a big shiny marble rolling down the freeway.. Oh well, enough rambling from me for today.. I'll have pics of the new parts, and of the "Body Panel Inquisition" :mrgreen:

I am doing a 3.1 with 5-speed in the convertible. Found a tranny about 2 hours out from a grand prix. So many parts to get.

Now i know where to get some questions answered.

You wouldn't happen to have an Intermediate Shaft bracket would you? :wink:[br]Posted on: May 04, 2006, 06:35:14 AM_________________________________________________GOt the rear leather bench today.. In absofuckinlutely MINT condition! No tears, rips, or dry rot anywhere.. I was glad to get the damn thing..

And Jay, if I do wind up coming down there, and we still haven't figured out how to ship these seats, Ill buy them from you then :lol:

But the seats are now covered at the Lumina Storage bunker and will just be waitin for installation soon I hope..

As far as the seats go, on the Grand Prix, they have that dumb net thing.. Is there any severe issue with me cutting that off, and either sewing or tacking the leather where that dumb thing does into the seat? Just wondering, because it is coming off either way.. I'll have pics coming up soon! Gonna snap pics of the things goin on now.. Later all!

Steve..where the hell in MN are you? im trying to make an effort to meet up with everyone in this state that is missing several car enthusiasts. they all seem to be east coast or from Michigan.

let me know....my car is undergoing a huge surgery when i finish school in a year and buy a house with a garage.

Jay, it's becoming more an more my drop top isnt it? :willynilly: :lol: :wink: If/when I come down there, I'd POR 15 the whole underside before I left.. DOnt need that salt eroding it away slowly :mrgreen:

Zach, I am living in St Paul, officially reside in Farmington, and run all over Washington County :lol:

:willynilly:

Zach, I am living in St Paul, officially reside in Farmington, and run all over Washington County :lol:

well heck, we'll have to get together sometime. you and i can go kick Shane's (topless94style) ass for not finishing his turbo 3.4 cutty 'vert yet after a year and some odd months. i talk to him semi-regularily encourage him, but he usually has a bull.... excuse that i give him crap for (maybe me talking behind his back will somehow get him to read this and visit this forum again).

We should all meet up... We can have some kind of meet at my garage steve...so everyone can see your car that your working with!

Update dor 5/12:

I figured this was important.. Thanks to some "sunroof wisdom" from firefighter 0029, I now know the easiest way toi add a sunroof to my car with the least amount of hassle: I am going to go snatch the roof skin from a sedan, slice the roof skin off my Lumi, and weld the roofable one in it's place.. This i think will be the easiest method of doing this.. THe main thing to worry about is making sure the roof doesn't buckle when removing it.. Shouldnt be too tough.. I am gonna go back to the yard I snagged my roof from and see if they will allow me to cut the roof skin off..

I am still in need of the shaft bracket and the memcal for the powertrain, then that can go on in.. Before that, I want to get the thing POR 15'd, and paint the engine bay myself.. That way it is done.. Then I will Dynamat the interior (Best Buy discount ROCKS the HEEZEE), order new carpet, floor mats, and begin the interior fabrication, audio, etc.. I also am in need of an inexpensive welder.. Or access to one..

Keep it tuned here for more updates as they roll in :cool:

MAY 15th, 2006:

PICAGE of some PARTS! :willynilly:

Factory Sunroof From 95 GP

Need to get back and get the "skin" for the roof..

The Back Seat

In this pic, we have a rear bench in leather from that same 95 GP, a 282 from a Beretta, 95 Cutty Console top in black, 2 KYB GR2 rear struts and 1 KYB GR2 front (THe other one is home somewhere..), and the old 3.1 from my black Lumina :mrgreen:

Gonna call around to various yards to see if any will allow me to cut the roof skin out.. After I get one that will, I'll need to find something to cut it with.. I think a Dremmel would take too long...

Woot :cool:

MAY 15th, 2006:

PICAGE of some PARTS! :willynilly:

Factory Sunroof From 95 GP

Need to get back and get the "skin" for the roof..

The Back Seat

In this pic, we have a rear bench in leather from that same 95 GP, a 282 from a Beretta, 95 Cutty Console top in black, 2 KYB GR2 rear struts and 1 KYB GR2 front (THe other one is home somewhere..), and the old 3.1 from my black Lumina :mrgreen:

Gonna call around to various yards to see if any will allow me to cut the roof skin out.. After I get one that will, I'll need to find something to cut it with.. I think a Dremmel would take too long...

Woot :cool:

I pulled the sunroof from the 90 GP, i used a die grinder to get the metal mounting sheet (skin) out. It didnt take to long, i will take some pics. a sawzall will be hard but should work.

Pabz, pics would be great.. PM them or post them here..

James, I dont own one, but I have one lined up I'll look at using.. See, Id rather get myself a nice welder or something..

...Gonna run out and see what Sears has for me...

Good luck with your search steve the only other thing i can think of doing to get a cordless sawzall is buy one then return it once your done with it......