Can someone tell me about the "snakehead" shift lever ?

littleredcar

I am curious if the shift lever will fit and work normally if it replaces the standard Cutlass "T-handle"?

replies to littleredcar and thank you for your input***

how far down the shifter do i have to go to change the head on it..97 cutty with a t handle..

???

I don't understand your question. The shift handle has a large staple that you have to yank out near the bottom of where the shift head ends and the metal rod protrudes. Just get a knife and pull that staple out. When you pull the shift head off, make sure your face is right over it, it helps with leverage.

its like a circle??..i was told i would have to take off the middle console to loosen some bolt to take it off..

Neg. You just have to remove the staple shaped piece of metal that goes into the front of the knob at the base of the KNOB. Wedge something litle but strong(Like a hamster) in there and pry out. Then just pull up, using the leverage trick mentioned above. Or are you trying to remove the whole shifter assembly?

its like a circle??..i was told i would have to take off the middle console to loosen some bolt to take it off..

Work on your phrasing and sentence structure. I can't understand a fucking thing you're talking about. :lol:

Are you even talking about the shift knob?

Blinker fluid resivoir?

Anyway, here are some pics.........

floorshift3.jpg

Here is an image of a standard GM floor shifter for Automatic transmissions.. They are all universal fits, and you can use ANY knob, from ANY GM car.. Period.. Hell, I have a 1990 Lumina shift handle on my 94 Cutlass!

floorshift6.jpg

And here is that same shiter from a 1987 Pontiac 6000.. Rockin a 94 Grand Prix Snake head shifter I can't stand.. As said before, all you really need to do is pull out the clip that holds the knob in place on the shifter.. THen it should slide right off; using the right leverage technique of course..

noobknob.jpg

And I borrowed this from eBay... THis is an ALero/Malibu knob, and if you like it enough, you can pick it up and put it onto your shifter you have now.. Because that's the beauty.. ALl you need to change is the knob.. Not the whole shiter assembly.. Good luck buddy..

• 3 weeks later...

Thats funny because I recently just swapped out my snakehead for a T-handle from a lumina, it looks very clean and cool inside my GP

See what I mean? I swapped the one in my 94 Cutty out for my old Lumina one:

ND620197.jpg

:cool:

It's easier to remove the shifter if you put it in 1, 2, N or whatever instead of Park for obvious reasons...

I put the old 'T' style shifter from my 88 GP on my 95. It's like a short-throw now, cause the "shake head" sticks up higher.

Like John said, you MUST be facing directly over the shift knob or you won't be able to get it off. I know from experience.

Oh yeah, you need to be able to put some real force into it. Don't be afraid to get your nose right on top of it.

Like John said, you MUST be facing directly over the shift knob or you won't be able to get it off. I know from experience.

Lill_BlackEye.gif I think your right.