94-97 rear brakes

Brian P

I just wanted to say that the 94+ rear brakes are on my car now. All is good except I got a defective (warped) rotor out of the box. As for braking, no comparison. It's been raining here all day, I did a few "test stops" at a light I always end up hitting. This is the spot where I can always lock the front wheels when the ground is wet with ease, and watch myself slide to the white line (I got it timed right). Well, today I tried it and it almost felt like the ground was dry. It only locked up after the car stopped so damn short that the seat belt stopped me from nailing the steering wheel. I can "feel" the rear wheels actually doing some braking for once. I didn't have to bend my brake lines more than maybe 5 degrees to fit the new calipers. I kept the old brake line brackets, but cut them shorter and drilled a hole for the bolt that keeps it on the strut. Very classy. That's all I had to say...

Congrats! :rocking:

I think our brakes could still be a lot better though.

Did you know gen 2 W-body front rotors are a whole 1/4" thicker than ours?

It's time for me to buy some spare parts and start brainstorming.

Nope, gen 2's use a single-piston caliper, but supposedly I've heard it's more effective than our 2-piston calipers. I think it's an all-new caliper design and I guess it has to be for the nearly 1/4" difference in thickness. It's very similar to F-body front calipers, and GM uses that caliper design on almost everything 98+, almost all GM cars have the same thickness rotors from 98+ also. I think the earlier gen 2's got 10.9" front rotors, but there are 12" rotors available for them. GM made that upgrade easier by making the only difference the caliper support bracket.

I have a lot of spare W-bodies, so I'm really tempted to drop some cash on a MIG welder and start getting creative! Time to think outside the box. :lol: One of my thoughts is finding a way to fit the gen 2 W-body 12" rotors. They are exactly the same thickness as C5 Corvette front rotors. C5's got aluminum 2-piston front calipers.