What's YOUR tire pressure?

gmrulz4u

I checked mine tonight for the first time in a while, and each tire was at 40 psi(215-60-R16) I'm not sure if this is a BAD thing or something? I realize that vast changes in temperature effect the readings, and I live in Ontario, Canada, where one day it's below zero, and the next it's warm and sunny! But the spring is finally here, and I'm not sure if I should let some of the air OUT of my tires? I really want to take care of my tires, as they're only 1 year old.

What's your psi?

I checked mine tonight for the first time in a while, and each tire was at 40 psi(215-60-R16) I'm not sure if this is a BAD thing or something? I realize that vast changes in temperature effect the readings, and I live in Ontario, Canada, where one day it's below zero, and the next it's warm and sunny! But the spring is finally here, and I'm not sure if I should let some of the air OUT of my tires? I really want to take care of my tires, as they're only 1 year old.

What's your psi?

Well, it depends on the maximum pressure that's stated on the tire. I've got 44psi max tires and leave them at 40 for tire wear and fuel economy (lots of highway driving). Although, I drop them to about 35psi when wanting a little more grip in the front and more in the rear so the car will handle with more of over-steer qualities when autocrossing.

- RedFox340

You should always go with the tire pressure reccomended on the vehicle tire info tag. Some model's have them in the trunk and some on the door.

40 psi is way too high. at freeway speeds when the tire heats up the air in the tire expands and drives the pressure up even higher. I've seen as high as 15 extra psi after a high speed run. My '95's reccomended pressure is 30 psi and that's what I set the tires at. After just 10 minutes at 70mph the pressure will be 32-35 psi. I have never had a tire wear problem with my car summer or winter and 2 different sizes 205 70 R15 in the winter and 235 50 R 17 in the summer, both running at 30 psi.

44 is the maximum pressure rating for the tire, a value set by the maker of the tire not the car manufacturer. You have to take into account that the same tire can and is used on dozens of different makes and models of cars. The tire manufacturer cant possibly know what pressure is best for every car.

GPRACER is correct. The same tire will have difference pressure requirements for difference vehicles. The pressure rating is not essentially tire specific, it is vehicle specific. If you want a really hard ride and unnecessary tire wear, by all means, 40+ PSI will do that. The car does not require any more than 32-34 PSI for normal highway driving conditions. 30 PSI may be a tad low for some people, but will not severely affect driving habits with day-to-day travel in mind, but rather low for spirited handling. I might add to prevent premature tire wear, it is best to stick to the recommendation set by your pressure indicated sticker.

This ramble isn't without purpose. It's been said to death, the subject of why Fords Explorer model kept blowing tires and rolling. The recommended tire pressure rating for that specific vehicle apparenly was indicated too low, creating the heat that eventually seperated the tread from the tire. In the end, though debatable, it was the fault of both Ford and Firestone for not clarifying the information required for a tire/vehicle design matchup.

What's my tire pressure? Usually 32 - 33 PSI. It's normal for a 1 - 1.5 PSI increase in my car under normal highway driving conditions. I only drive 3 kms to work however, so I only see marginal increases in day-to-day driving. The temp. is consistant on long trips as well, unless I lay the gas pedal down for a wee bit if illegal fun.

it is best to stick to the recommendation set by your pressure indicated sticker.

To play the devil's advocate "...but what if you have a tire with a max less than what's recommended on the door / trunk?" Then what do you do? I know...

Sell your soul and I'll tell you... :devil:

- RedFox340

I know that 44 is max by the manufacture of the tire.

I Run at 40 because that is the pressure that makes my car feel the best around courners and not like im Driving on Jello......

I do Drop it to 36psi when I go on long trips 250miles or more. but otherwise I keep them that high for my Driving preferance.

To play the devil's advocate "...but what if you have a tire with a max less than what's recommended on the door / trunk?" Then what do you do? I know...

- RedFox340

I don't recommend slamming the car with a new set of 8" funky gold spoked wheelbarrow wheels. :lol: If you can find me a tire with a max pressure less than 30 that's meant to be on a car - I'll give myself a kick in the ass. :D

I does that on the tires of summer as on those of winter as much on my 1999 Z34 that on my 1994 Skylark

Front Tire = 32lbs

Rear Tire = 35lbs

My summer tire:

Good Year RSA 225/60RS16 for the Z34

Pirelli P400 195/65R15

My Winter Tire:

Nokian Hakkapelliita Q 205/70R15 for the Z34

Nokian Hakkapelliita Q 185/70R14 fot the Skylark

But the best of both world in my opinion is to put the size of tires original ahead and to widen those postpones at least 2 points and this as much in winter that in summer! It is one of the points to make when one wants the best held of road.

I have Michelin XW4's all around and they call for 35 psi. I run the rear at about 33-34 psi. My car pulls slightly to the right so i run 34 psi in the front right and about 31-32 in the front left. This seems to help it run straight. I've had my tires for almost 3 years and 35,000 miles on them and they are wearing perfect.......Knock on wood.

I have Michelin XW4's all around and they call for 35 psi. I run the rear at about 33-34 psi. My car pulls slightly to the right so i run 34 psi in the front right and about 31-32 in the front left. This seems to help it run straight. I've had my tires for almost 3 years and 35,000 miles on them and they are wearing perfect.......Knock on wood.

usually pulling is caused by mismatched tire brands, or one tire being more worn than the other. (usually left vs right front) try rotating the tires front to back and see if it goes away

I usually run 37-40psi.

The manufacturer's recommended tire pressure is a compromise between ride comfort, handling, tire wear, safety, etc. for the particular tire that came on your car.

You can increase tire pressure if you'd like for a firmer ride, better cornering, and improved fuel economy, but at the expense of tire wear in the middle of the tread.

It's actually FAR more dangerous to run too low of tire pressure than too high. Tire pressure that's too low will lead to the possibility of blowouts on the highway.

I used to keep my 215s at about 40. The recommended 35 always seemed too mushy to me and made my car sound like it was going to fall apart when going over potholes and bridge expansions, etc. My new 225s ride alot firmer at 40, but I am having a problem with them rubbing against the inner fender when the wheels are cut. I filled the fronts up to the max 44 to try and make them taller/skinnier, but it is not helping :x