Front seat belt question

Bake82

Hey guys,

I'm doing my interior swap and have run into some problems with the front seat belts. My car is an 88 CS, the parts are from a 92 CS.

My 88 front seat belts have a button attach to the door and ran into the long seat belt part attached to the door.

100_1301_640x480.jpg

That is where the button is.

100_1300_640x480.jpg

The button

100_1299_360x480.jpg

The 88 seat belt

100_1298_360x480.jpg

The 92 seat belt.

I need to know if I NEED that button. When I push the button it sounds like it is engaging a gear in the seat belt. I don't know what the hell it does and was hoping somebody knows if I can cut the button off my 88 seat belt so I can put the 92 seat belt in my car without any problems.

Thanks in advance guys.

a 92 would have an elctric selonoid that releases the 'choke hold' of the seat belt.

your 88 uses that button instead I wouls presume.

interesting tidbit... I stripped a 96 gp coupe of it's belts, and the 96 d/s has no electric or mechanical release to be found (I am worried enough not to use until sure it wasn't a hack mechanic job)

the p/s has the electic selonoids.

THIS IS VERY DANGEROUS!

Doing this procedure incorrectly would render your belts unsafe in a crash!!!

but.... I would rethread the new color belts into your cars current mechanism of your old belts...

I have done this for other units, but not the front door belts of our cars yet. I will have to research more, give me 24 hours, I have one to do right now for my vert actually!!!

I played with that button for a bit, and I could not get it to come out of the door,

How do I pull that button out?

Stick your hand in the door....following the wire....an you wil find it screws off. then it pulls out through the door. I didn't know what it was and just followed the wire..

Does anybody know if I can use the 92 seatbelts in my 88 without any dangers????