panic alarm going off

turby

A friend just called me and asked why her panic alarm keeps going off. She said it does it when she opens the door and again when she puts her foot on the brake. What would cause this?

BTW, it's a 2001 GP SE.

I've had 'problems' with Pursuits and their alarms going off when you use the key to open it (not the remote). But then just stick the key in the ignition and it goes off.

should be able to push the unlock button and turn it off :dunno: or did she try that already?

Shutting it off isn't the problem. Getting it to quit doing it everytime she touches the car is.

Is she unlocking it with the FOB? If not, that could be the problem. My truck's factory alarm goes off if I open the door without having disarmed it by pressing UNLOCK on the FOB.

If she's using the FOB, then there's probably something wrong with the BCM.

Is she unlocking it with the FOB? If not, that could be the problem. My truck's factory alarm goes off if I open the door without having disarmed it by pressing UNLOCK on the FOB.

If she's using the FOB, then there's probably something wrong with the BCM.

She always uses the fob. I have a fob for it also that I'll try later. Maybe hers is malfunctioning?

I kind of doubt it. My understanding is the BCM receives an UNLOCK signal and disarms the alarm, so I really doubt the problem is in the FOB.

You might check a wiring diagram to see if the keyless entry module can control the locks directly, or if it's nothing more than a receiver that tells the BCM to lock unlock the doors. If it controls the locks directly, it might just be a bad connection between keyless entry module and BCM. If it's just got a serial data wire to the BCM and BCM does all the work, then I think BCM might have a problem.

Hmmm... My grandma's 99 Caddy she used to have did this a couple times. Once she shut the car off, and started to get out, but the alarm went off. She then tried to get out again, and the alarm again went off. So, she came home, got out of the car, and the alarm went off again. It was a freak occurence, because it never did it with my grandpa, who went out to look at the car and it's "spastic alarm".

On our F-150 you have to start the truck to get the alarm to go off. I dunno about a Gm, but I always thought an activated alarm was supposed to prevent the car from starting.

As for the GP I would also have guessed that the fob itself was messed up.

01 gp se locks are controlled via bcm, btw[br]Posted on: April 21, 2006, 06:56:35 PM_________________________________________________if you want to check it out i'll post up some diagrams for you