short blowing fuses

briandors

1995 Cutlass Supreme convertible.

I keep blowing fuse #19 which is for "accessory power #1". 15 amp. On this circuit are door locks, door lock switches, power antenna motor.

I'm pretty sure there's a short somewhere, since using any of these items doesn't blow the fuse. I can use them all a bunch and randomly, sometimes with only days between - sometimes months between - thse fuse blows.

Are there common areas to check for wire being stripped/grounded ??

Thanks

Brian

That's a really sucky problem. If there's a short for that location, you're probably going to have to check inside the doors. That's not going to be a fun task. Also check the looms going into the doors.

If you have the service manual for your car, you can look at the wiring diagrams and check to see where the grounds are, how everything is wired and most of the time, the way its wired, youll find trouble spots just by looking at the diagram...

I'll bet the wiring is damaged in that boot between the door and rest of the car...also, the actuators for your door locks could be stiff and putting a strain on the electrical system...this happened in my buddy's cavalier.

Water could be leaking onto your antenna motor, or wiring near by through a leak around that area in the trunk, possibily the antenna gasket itself around the quarter panel is leaking water.

Water could be leaking onto your antenna motor, or wiring near by through a leak around that area in the trunk, possibily the antenna gasket itself around the quarter panel is leaking water.

That is a really good idea. You should definately look into that.

Seat belt retractors have a relay? I've been under the dash a bunch and don't remember a 'long' relay, but I'll take another look. Was it in the driver's area? More towards the parking brake or towards the center of the car?

I thought our seat belts were 100% mechanical? Are you saying the locking mechanism that makes them hold tight during a sudden deceleration is electrically activated? I thought it was all mechanical within the ratcheting system.

Or is my 95 different than earlier years?

They'll still lock up. Those actuators on the seat belt units are for unlocking the belt when you try to open the door with them still buckled in. I had mine disconnected in the Grand Prix for the longest time.