both turn signals stopped working, checked the fuse, flasher, and bulbs...

cutlass1991

On the 97 cutlass supreme, both turn signals stopped working. The fuse, flasher and bulbs are all good. Where should I check now??

It might be worth mentioning that about a month ago the car was in the shop because the left turn signal wouldn't turn off after you made the turn. It needed a cancelling spring, which the shop repaired.

I'd check the turn signal switch. Most likely it's fried.

i was afraid you'd say that. I've always been leary of messing with the steering column of a car with air bags :eek:

All you have to do is disconnect the battery before you work on a car with airbags and they won't inflate dude. Nothing to fret about if you ask me...

Pretty sure you need to pull the fuse and disconnect one of the airbag wires too. [br]Posted on: April 18, 2006, 08:11:48_________________________________________________http://tss.likeabigdog.com/[br]Posted on: April 18, 2006, 08:13:26_________________________________________________I WIN!

2. Locate and remove the "Airbag" or "SRS" fuse in the passenger side fusebox. There is more than one fuse for the airbag system, so I like to start the car after step 2 to verify the Airbag light in the dash remains lit. This way you know for sure that you pulled the correct fuse.

3. Remove the Negative battery cable.

4. Remove the trim panels underneath the driver's side of the dashboard.

5. Locate the yellow "CPA" connector for the airbag underneath the dash to the right of the steering column and disconnect. Remove the blue (or green) pin from the center of the connector to allow for the tab to be depressed.

The airbag is not that big of a deal. All I've ever done is pull the airbag fuse, disconnect the yellow airbag connector under the dash, and then pull the airbag. I've never disconnected the battery, and the service manual does not recommend to do so. It's also a good idea to discharge all static electricity from your body before touching any of the airbag parts. Then always carry the airbag unit facing away from you.

you do know that there are two flashers right?

Yes, the hazard one still works fine. I pulled the flasher from my car that works and put it in the 97...still no turn signals.

It needed a cancelling spring, which the shop repaired.

How much did they hose you for that?

$75.00 :eek:

It needed a cancelling spring, which the shop repaired.

How much did they hose you for that?

$75.00 :eek:

You can say that again! $75 to change out a $3 part, good god! :lol: Well at least they didn't charge you $300.

FYI, I have instructions on how to replace the cancelling springs in my write-up (yeah I know, too little too late.)

I myself have pulled the Driver's side airbag after only removing the SRS/Airbag fuse and nothing else without a hitch. But it's best to err on the side of safety, especially the first time you remove your DS airbag...

• 2 weeks later...