HUD on cutlass supremes

89oldscutlass

Sure did... The '95-'97 never had them (but I've heard the instructions for it is in those owner manuals) and I do not know if they are prewired for them or not. The earlier Cutlass Supremes did have HUD. I know Shawn (GnatGoSplat) can tell you much more than I can about them.

Guest TurboSedan

yep, check out my website for installation details and pics (sig link) - i installed a HUD unit from a '90 CS in my '91. cars that have ECC and/or DIC are usually prewired for HUD, so if your car has those options consider yourself lucky because you can just plug it right in (depending on the year of the HUD unit - keep in mind tho that there are 2 different HUDs - the '88-'90 variety and then the '91-'94 type which has a different plug and looks a little different). so actually mine wouldn't have plugged right in anyway since i have a '90 HUD in a '91 car. but anyways, HUD is a very cool option to have. i still have to cut a hole in my original dash pad (blue), so right now i'm still using a really worn out black dash pad that came with my HUD. good luck.

joshua

Yep. 88-94 Cutlass Supreme were available with HUD.

88's were definitely not prewired for it, and I doubt most 89's are either.

My '89 was not prewired for it, and it has both the ECC and DIC.

Anyway, I put a 94 HUD in my '89. The 88-90 HUD is larger than the 91-94 HUD and has a glass lens covered by a metal grating which deflects glare. 91-94 doesn't need the grating, because it has a plastic lens shaped in such a way that it can't glare. 91-94 HUD also has a generic "CHECK GAUGES" light while the older HUD actually had a LOW FUEL indicator (and in the case of the Grand Prix, both CHECK GAUGES and LOW FUEL). As for which HUD is better, either one will fit. The 88-90 HUD is probably better as far as materials and information displayed, and sharpness of the HUD projection. The visible part of the 91-94 HUD on top of the dash looks better to me though.

My 94 convertible was prewired.

I think 94-96's tend to be prewired, older ones tend not to be, but there are always exceptions, and strange ones at that. My stepbrother's base-model 90 4dr Cutlass was prewired for foglight switch and DIC, but it has manual AC, base cluster, and pretty much no options except for PW and PL.

My '94 Cutlass Supreme Convertible came prewired for HUD (of course). Will it come prewired for DIC? I have electronic climate control. Also, is mine prewired for the English/metric switch? Thanks!

No, the 94's aren't prewired for DIC, and I doubt any 92+ are since it wasn't offered after 91. I had to do the usually splicing to install the DIC.

Yes, it's prewired for the English/Metric switch. I know the wire is there, and I seem to remember seeing a wire in the console that I couldn't figure out what it did.

I've looked all through the console, but I'll look again. The only wires I can find go to the lights that illuminate the shifter bezel, and the convertible top switch. The Eng/Met switch goes where the convertible switch is, so that was my first guess. I'll take another look tomorrow.

I read somewhere that HUD was only offered on the convertible in 1994. If this is true, where would the Eng/Met switch be since the convertible top switch is in it's place?

How hard was splicing the wires for the DIC? Everything is packed in there so tightly...

I had no idea HUD was only available on 94 convertibles, but I guess it's possible since I don't think I've seen any other year convertibles with HUD.

I don't think the E/M switch was available in 94. I couldn't find it in the manual anywhere. I think my schematic shows US models hard-wired for English and Canadian models hardwired for metric.

Splicing the wires for the DIC was somewhat tricky, but not that bad. I have a whole bunch of spare harnesses I use for scrap wire, so I did most of my splicing in the harness where it just goes through the upper dash near the radio. I had the dashpad out anyway, so that made it easier. Some of the wires I couldn't find up there, so I spliced into them into the harness behind the climate control, but that's a pretty tight space. The factory splices would have been in that vertical section to the right of the climate control, but that section was completely inaccessible and where I did my splicing is not more than 2-3" away from where the factory splices should have been anyway. A coupe of the wires I was able to splice directly onto the factory splices. I'd start on this project after dinner and watching a few of the primetime TV shows, and quit at bedtime and it ended up taking me 2-nights. Most of it checking and double-checking wiring diagrams.

Where did you get your wiring diagrams?

I'm wondering if buying one of those service repair manuals off eBay might be of use?

I got some diagrams off autolibrary.org, but that site is inaccessible now.

I got all my wiring diagrams from my Helms manual.

Mitchell is also good for an overall schematic, but it doesn't show how the wires are routed and where the factory splices are.

Luminas never came with DIC or HUD, so I don't believe they would be prewired for either.