Progress on my Lumina

warwgn3

Well, we finally got the rear brakes finnished, and working great. The Coolant temp sensor was replaced as well, and I'm in the midst of doing some minor body work to satisfy the MTO's requirements to pass the Safety. But then we discovered a coolant leak, so for now we're hoping its just a hose, and not the rad itself.

I was also able to fit the trailer mirrors to the lumina to prepare for my 900km trip to Michigan. Just to keep you all at ease, the car does already have a tranny cooler on it, and I'm only towing a small trailer.

My dad's trailer (the white one) is a 6 person, 1979 Lionel M-500, pop-up camper, which measured to 6' 9" W x 13' 4" L, (box closed), and weighs in at 2,200 lbs. So I will NOT use the Lumina to tow that, We'll put a hitch on the 91 Safari van to tow it.

trailer2.jpg

My trailer (the green one) is a 2 person, 1960's Adventurer, pop up camper, which measured to 6' 4" W x 6' 9" L, (box closed) and weighs in at less than 900 lbs. This is the trailer I'll be towing on my trip.

trailer.jpg

that poor car :(

the previous owner towed his slightly bigger Bonair pop up camper to Halifax NS, and it was fine. A trip to Lansing MI is no big deal compared to that. I'll be sure to have the tranny flushed and everything befoe I go.

Yea, the trans will survive. An external trans cooler will help it make the trip. If you dont have one already, it might be a good idea to get one put in. As long as you tow it in drive, not overdrive, and you dont work the car too too hard when its not necessary, there really shouldnt be too much of a problem. I know a guy that tows cars behind a 92 lesabre. I drove it once with a flatdeck hooked up with an old mustang II on the back. The car has about 250000 Km on the original tranny. And he has towed lots with that car.

oh man hope your trans will survive...

have you ever serviced the tranny? fluid, filter, etc etc?

and you HAVE to get us a pic of the Lumina towing the trailer!!!!!!

:willynilly:

I will take a pic of the car towing the trailer for sure. Complete with trailer mirrors, and a 5 foot CB Radio antenna sticking out of the trunk lid.

Previous owner was a mechanic and service it all the time. I haven't touched the tranny yet, mostly because I still have to get to the MTO (DMV) to license it. I can't really drive it anywhere wit out any plates. I still have to get the safety and emmisions test done before that.

Yea, the trans will survive. An external trans cooler will help it make the trip. If you dont have one already, it might be a good idea to get one put in. As long as you tow it in drive, not overdrive, and you dont work the car too too hard when its not necessary, there really shouldnt be too much of a problem.

There IS a tranny cooler on it already, as I've stated before. And on my trip I'll be going no faster than 100km/h (62mph). I don't want to push the car. Besides I want to enjoy the ride. BTW whats the speed limit on the I-94 in Michigan?

But before I take the trip, I have to go trotting around the city so I can learn how to manuver a car with a trailer..... I never towed before.

There IS a tranny cooler on it already, as I've stated before. And on my trip I'll be going no faster than 100km/h (62mph). I don't want to push the car. Besides I want to enjoy the ride. BTW whats the speed limit on the I-94 in Michigan?

But before I take the trip, I have to go trotting around the city so I can learn how to manuver a car with a trailer..... I never towed before.

Perfect :thumb: As for towing a trailer. Meh, its not hard at all. Its a lot easier than it seems. You'll get used to it really easily. And seeing as how it is a smaller trailer, you shouldnt have to be taking many wide turns. The harder part is learning how to manuver in reverse. That can get kinda tricky at times, but practice makes perfect. Im sure you'll do fine

I just hope the people down there will tolerate a guy going 62mph. I'll probably have to put Canadian flags on my doors, and stick a sign on the trailer that says "Get off my ass and pass."

btw, the place I'm camping out at is just outside of Pinckney. I'll get on I-94 at the Sarnia/Port Huron border Via Highway 402, and stay on for about 174 kms (108 miles) until I reach Dexter, then its surface streets untill I get to the camp site in Hell, MI.

You're going to HELL :willynilly:
Hell yeah! I went last year in my old wagon, and had an awesome time. Check out the pics I took... www.stillruns.com/land-barge/vacation.htm

I'll definately take some pic of this years trip for you guys.[br] Posted on: April 16, 2006, 17:07:59 _________________________________________________

Posted on: April 17, 2006, 16:27:24

Well, today I got tired of waiting around. My brother and I have been looking for an upper rad hose for the Euro-Lumian 3.4 for a few days now, and NOBODY in Ottawa has one. My bro was going to see if he can get one from Car Quest, but I haven't heard from him yet.

So I decided to speed up the body work process, and sand down the bondo-glass that my bro slapped on the rusty parts of the car. I started with a block, and was doing good, until the power sander caught the corner of my eye. I looked at the block for a split second, said "fuck that" and plugged in the power sander. Man did that speed things up. I'm gonna let my bro look at my progress to see if I have anything more to sand before its ready to be painted.

just stay the hell out of the left lane and you should be alright
yeah, I usually make a habit of staying in the right lane. When I was in The States last year in my old wagon, I was on my way to Pickering ON, from Beloit WI, and I was basically doing 160-180 km/h (100-112 mph) in 65 or 75 mph zones, and everyone was still passing me. Even the Big Rigs. I couldn't believe it. And the the fact that there were absolutely no cops to be seen throughout my entire trip just boggled my mind. I thought for sure I was gonna get nabbed at those speeds. I made it from Beloit to Pickering, in just under 15 hours, lock to lock.

I was basically doing 160-180 km/h (100-112 mph) in 65 or 75 mph zones, and everyone was still passing me. Even the Big Rigs.

c'mon now....big rigs going +100mph....

I just hope the people down there will tolerate a guy going 62mph.

just stay the hell out of the left lane and you should be alright

jeez in IL you'll get killed doing 62mph on the right SHOULDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

c'mon now....big rigs going +100mph....

yeah dude, seriously. Most of the trip I was at 100 mph and I was getting passed like I was sitting still. Add in a couple down hill slopes, and the next thing I know I'm at 112.

um my speedometer on my truck says 180kmph is 85mph......

What the hell kinda truck you got there?? :lol: Either your mistaken, or someone really messed up your speedo. 85 MPH is about 136 kmh. 180 is about 112.

And i can beleive the big rigs goin 100 MPH. Last summer i was driving down I-29 going to Grand forks at about 80 MPH, and had a greyhound bus, and a couple big rigs fly past me.

Well have fun :D!!! I towed my dad's '96 2500 Suburban down the crescent with my Lumina after his motor blew up...the flatbed couldn't get down our street to pick it up because the turn at the end is too sharp.....so I hooked up my tow rope and let her rip lol....like 5mph :D

Well, the Lumina is pretty much ready to be painted, so I'll do that tomorrow. Man that car is really starting to piss me off. I discovered that it wasn't thet hose that was leaking coolant, its the rad itself. Dammit! I don't know if I should wait for my brother to take the rad out and fix it here, or just take it to a mechanic, and be done with it. I was supposed to have the car on the road 3 weeks ago. I still need a safety an emmissions test on top of that. not to mention installing the MP3 player in it, and picking up the trailer, and wiring it up. Christ, by this rate, I'll have to take my Dads van to Michigan this year.