A/C Recharging in Ontario

crc

For those canucks who have 1st gen w-bodies.. What are you guys doing about your R12 systems? My cutty needs a recharge badly but I've been told I have to retrofit from R12 to something else..

Any idea what this would cost? Any affordable options for recharging my A/C? What about this 406a or 409a stuff?

well I just bought my car in the summer, but under the hood there is a sticker that says that the AC was recharged in 2000 by the dealer...maybe check them first to see that they charge?? Just an idea..

Here's what Carpoint says about the systems:

This vehicle was originally charged with R-12 refrigerant which is no longer being manufactured. The refrigerant is still available, but it is very expensive ($25.00-$50.00 per pound, 2-5 pounds per vehicle). Conversion to the new R-134A refrigerant is possible, at an average cost of about $100-$250 parts and labor. All prices are estimates based on $65 per flat rate hour and do not include diagnostic time or any applicable sales tax.

I'm not sure if everything is the same in Ontario...

I know you can buy some retrofitting kits at WallyMart and other department stores. If I remember right, it was fairly cheap. Good luck!

well I just bought my car in the summer, but under the hood there is a sticker that says that the AC was recharged in 2000 by the dealer...maybe check them first to see that they charge?? Just an idea..

Well, it must've been either refilled with R12 (banned in 2002) or retroffited, or filled with some other gas.

hi, i don't think you'll find any r12 in ontario anymore. you will need to retrofit your system to r134. they replace a few items in the a/c system.

the system will need to be flushed, have the dryer replaced and charged with r134. (of course that doesn't include finding and fixing the cause of your original leak). honestly, it could easily run up to $2,000 or more. r12 and r134 are not compatible mostly due to the oil each requires. if you're handy with a/c, then order what you need from summit or j.c. whitney. if your a/c is not cold, you definately have a leak, as freon does not wear out. cost of just a conversion is about $200-$250.

the place i used to work at did recharges of R134a all the time, we jsut drained the oil and took out all the R12 and refilled it with R134a and on my buddies car it's still blowing ice cubes after over 2 years. Later Jay