I just bought $100 in gaskets

19Cutlass94

yeah like the title says, 100 bucks in gaskets today. The list includes upper plenum gaskets, lower intake gaskets valve cover gaskets and o-ring for the oil pump drive seal. Doesnt sound like much for that money does it :lol:

But probably starting friday I have to do my gaskets and such on my 3100 since Im going through about a quart of oil every 2 weeks or so. I figure while Im at it, maybe Ill write up a "how-to" since its not in the FAQ section.

Cant wait to see what else is wrong with this thing once I go inside there...

ouch... felpro intake gasket sets run for ~35 bucks for the 3.1. and it's only another $1.10 or so if I go to the dealer and get the silicon o-ring..

I got NAPA valve cover gaskets for like 30 bucks total or something like that...

Hope that solves your hesitation and slowness problem.

I wouldn't buy any gaskets from Fel-Pro. I've heard of problems with them, and really, gaskets are important enough that you should get OEM, IMO, LOL.

If I end up ever having to do my intake gaskets again, I will try the NAPA brand. The GM ones I bought look EXACTLY like the ones that were in the car already :rolleyes: .. however I don't think they were ever changed prior, so if I get 230,000km out of them that will last me like 20years lol.

I went to OTTO Oldsmobile ( the local dealer ) to get them. All the gaskets and everything they have there are the updated versions, which means they *shouldnt* fail again and they arnt made of the shitty material the factory ones or the orignal ones are.

Hope that solves your hesitation and slowness problem.

I hope it does. although my main concern the engine itself and oil consumption, the hesitation was there and was kinda bad. I think Im gonna throw in a new set of Delco plugs while Im at it.

I still call the place OTTO Oldsmobile, although yes it has changed its name since the line was cut to something like OTTO Pontiac Cadillac or something of the sort.

I had some work done at Freudenwald Olds (the dealership in ToroToro's picture) a couple of years ago. From speaking to them on the phone,it seemed like a two person operation, one guy fixing cars, the other guy running the rest of the business. I wondered what they put in the showroom these days.

I *think* it might need headgaskets ( still losing some coolant ), and I'm doing the 2000+ heads and lower intake with the 3500 upper. :cool:

Nice! that will give it a little extra punch.

I wouldn't buy any gaskets from Fel-Pro. I've heard of problems with them

I've been using Fel-Pro gaskets for many years and have NEVER had a problem with them. If the OEM gaskets are those shitty plastic ones that came from the factory, you can keep them!

All GM dealers now sell the updated version of these gaskets with metal, and not thermo plastic as before. So you shouldnt have a problem with them at all. But some of these parts stores, the reason I didnt get them there was I didnt know if they were updated gaskets or not. Because thats all I need is to do this again.....

Well all the intakes are off, and I just have to get the gaskets out tomorrow and put it all back together and clean everything first. But I gotta say, that motor is fucking clean in there.