3.1s really do last forever....

ZoomZoomFan

Okay, there's a car lot not too far from my house. On warm days like today, I usually grab my bicycle and ride on the back roads to the car lot. Today I rode over there, did my usual glance at the cars there, and then wondered back to the "trade-ins" or dirt cheap cars section.

There was a garnet 1990 GP 3.1 sedan with 227k on it, but that wasn't the big issue to me. There was a dark blue on blue 90 or 91 (it was an early one) Lumina Euro coupe. It was pretty beat, and dirty too. I looked inside to see the mileage since it didn't have a little info sheet on the window like the GP did. The odo looked like 217 or 219k at first, but the sun's glare and the dirty window made it hard for me to see. The driver's door was locked, but since the passenger's door was unlocked, I opened and leaned in to see what the odo really said.

To my amazement, there was 279,xxx miles on there. :willynilly:

I'll get pics of it later on this week probably, I didn't have my camera with me this time.

A few years ago I worked on a '94 Grand Am with a 3100 that had the original engine and trans and to my amazement the odometer read 370k miles. It still turned the tires over too.

Shawn

^^Wow. This Lumina was the highest mileage car I've ever seen in person. I don't think it'll sell to quickly, since that GP has been there for a few months now. I want to get pics of this Lumina before he sells it.

regular maintenance is the key... Mine just started a light tapping thanks to the previous owners lack of intelligence...

I have been getting a lifter tick, after I retart the car and it's warm, it goes away after 5-10 min, but I had always done proper maint.....

I drove a 94 3100 ciera from 227K miles to 249K, Sold it to my brother in law. Who totaled the car at 274. He then bought a broke down 95 Beretta that had 220K miles on it with a cracked block (was ran without coolant) Swapped the 274K mile motor into it and now his OD is right around 230+ on the reta. Thats 284K and still going.

Some guy parked next to me back when I was driving my 88' CS had an 89' CS with over 600,000 kms on it ... the body looked pretty rough but he said he just did regular maintenance on it and thats all.

my APV had 268k on the stock untouched original 3.1 before i junked it because it had electrical problems and the 3T40 had no 2nd gear since 220k.

:lol: I remember you saying you were going to throw screws down the intake.

my APV had 268k on the stock untouched original 3.1 before i junked it because it had electrical problems and the 3T40 had no 2nd gear since 220k.

:lol: I remember you saying you were going to throw screws down the intake.

that was the other one. it had 138k and wiped a cam lobe or something(would not pass e-check or run right to save its life). i threw nuts and bolts down the intake after runing it beyond redline(tach showed 6500) for 5 minutes and had the temp gauge pegged and the exhaust manifolds glowing and it wouldnt die. it dropped a valve with the nuts bouncing around the cylinders but still kept running and clacking. finally got it to die after 2 or 3 minutes of running with dropped valve pounding around. if i kept the other one it'd probably have 300k on it by now.

I'll be lucky to get much past 200,000kilometers on my drivetrain on my Lumina....both engine (noisy as hell) and tranny(slips in reverse now) seen a little hurt. This car neevr had regular maintaince done and it shows.