Re-Clearing the 5 Spokes

ns87

Although I got a great deal on my five spokes, they deff need another clear coat. I've seen kits in Griots Garage Catalauge, and similar in autozone to reclear coat the alloy wheels yourself. It comes with a base silver, and then a clear. Anyone use these and have success? Or should I bite the bullet and have a shop do it? About how much would I expect to pay for that?

I would think that getting the sandblasted to get the clear off would be the easiest. Maybe not the best route for the rims, but it might work. Maybe try that, sand them a bit further till it's good and smooth and re-paint with silver and re-clear yourself. Always worth a shot!

Ehhh...you can get a cheap sandblaster from harbor frieght like I did. But ironically enough I never used it to do my wheels. Aircraft stripper and a plastic scraper is your friend. I'd buy at least three cans. The clear comes off very easy, but the paint is pretty tough. And you cant really take the clear off without fucking up the paint underneath.

I'd be inclined to just say sand the original finish smooth, use some adheasion promoter and paint right over the shit.