Dome lights stay on

Jon Forston

Hey, haven`t really looked into this fully yet, but thought I`d run it pass you all. Intermittently, my interior lights will not shut off when exiting the vehicle. ( Have to pull the fuse.) When the ignition goes on they do shut off. Is this a door handle switch problem, timer problem ( I`m assuming it has one.) or a wiring issue???

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Jon

I can tell you only what I know....

My 95 cutlass does the same thing, mailly when it is cold outside. My lights are on a factory timer that shut off approx 15 seconds after the door is closed or when the ignition is engaged. My car is also supposed to automatically lock the car doors when the tranny is put in to drive and some times it won't. I am pretty sure it is a loose contact somewhere are the contacts are getting frozen over....

I can tell you only what I know....

My 95 cutlass does the same thing, mailly when it is cold outside. My lights are on a factory timer that shut off approx 15 seconds after the door is closed or when the ignition is engaged. My car is also supposed to automatically lock the car doors when the tranny is put in to drive and some times it won't. I am pretty sure it is a loose contact somewhere are the contacts are getting frozen over....

My guess would be the headlight switch. That's where the shutoff timer is.

I didn't know they had the timed domelights prior to 94 though.

My 90 Grand Prix doesn't have it, but then there was a Security Lighting option group that my GP doesn't have.

Open your hood, and without opening your doors disconnect the battery, or let it drain the next time they do not shut off. I would be willing to bet that when you retore power the lights will be off, until you trigger the problem again by activating a troubled circuit.

I had those troubles in the past and thought I had bioled it down to the "alarm module", that is what controls the timer. It is on a circuit that is shared by many other devices. But the problem went away all on its own before I located one to replace it. That was last summer and it has not come back since.