1st and 2nd gen HUDs

Psych0matt

Got a first gen HUD (thought they were wired the same, but apparently not) would it be easier just to find a 2nd gen hud? or to do the wires for this one? I like the looks of the first gen better, but thats about it (and i actually finally got one)

you mean the first gen as in W-body or as in the '90 Style Hud VS 94 Style?

I really do like my '94 style HUD although i wish it was brighter (I did clean the mirrors, etc when I installed the unit). I am thinking my switch needs a little more power because its hella bright when i have it in ACC mode (i have the power coming off of the radio fuse, i believe). Will probably re-wire it this summer

If you mean first gen as 88-90, then yes, I think you'd be better off with a 91-94 unit. It'll plug right in and you can fill the space next to the DIC.

I dont really like the looks of the older ones, and you'll have to cut up your IP carrier to get the older style dimmer switch to mount where it's supposed to, next to the headlight switch. Much easier to get a 91-94 installed and working.

If you mean second gen W body, then no. That wouldn't be easier at all. Probobly would be cool if you could get it to look decent though. I like the electric height adjustment.

If you mean first gen as 88-90, then yes, I think you'd be better off with a 91-94 unit. It'll plug right in and you can fill the space next to the DIC.

I dont really like the looks of the older ones, and you'll have to cut up your IP carrier to get the older style dimmer switch to mount where it's supposed to, next to the headlight switch. Much easier to get a 91-94 installed and working.

If you mean second gen W body, then no. That wouldn't be easier at all. Probobly would be cool if you could get it to look decent though. I like the electric height adjustment.

:werd:

I like the one in my car. From the pics I've seen in the older w-bodys they look kinda tacky. Mine works very well and is as bright as I could ever need it to be...

I plan to mount a 89 CS HUD in my 91 CS vert. But then again..... I want to have it be a loose unmarked replica of the real thing... same paint and rims and such..... but then again I am Crazy K.

ask... StockGP for a 89 CS diagram and for the comparison 91-94 Diagram, and you can connect the older HUD wnit wiring into your car.

I have the 91-94 diagram but not at my disposal right now, I'm on the road. in fact.. I need the 88-90 HUD diagram myself.

well, i have been keeping my eye out for any hud, and happened across this one, so if i can find a newer one I'll do that, although, if it's not too hard I would just rather do this, since I already have this one. anyone else ever put an older one in a newer car?