cruise control help

briandors

1995 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with the electronic cruise, not vacuum.

Cruise has worked for years. Then a couple weeks ago, the resume/accelerate slide button stopped accelerating the car. Instead of increasing my speed by 1mph when the cruise was set, it de-activated the cruise control. But the Set button still worked all the time.

This morning I got nothing out of it. I have checked the brake switch, it's not stuck on. I checked the wiring and connector on the turn signal lever, it looks fine, and under hood the connector going into the cruise control module seems tight.

I have read people saying to check the ground for the module, but I don't see a specific grounding wire there.

And does the turn signal lever really just pull straight off? I put a LOT of pressure on it and it didn't come out.

Any other things to look at?

Thanks

Brian

It sounds like your multifunction stalk is "malfunctioning" (say that 10 times really fast :lol: .) The lever does pull straight out, but you need to unplug the electrical connector at the base of the lever before you pull. Give it a good tug and it'll come out.

Sometimes what happens, especially with the skinnier 1980's stalks, is the wires that protrude out the back of the stalk (around the washer "paddle") get frayed from years of switching the wipers on and off. The lever on the airbag equipped W's have a larger opening for the wires to pass through, but the problem still persists.

So to sum it all up, start with swapping out the lever and go from there. Grab up a couple of them from your friendly neighborhood boneyard if you're so inclined :wink: ...