Custom Auto meter cluster.

z34_nut

Personally, I'm sick of my cluster...its just so...plain looking. I kinda want to update it with some modern equipment, and I was thinking about using Autometer gauges to make a new sleek cluster.

I kinda hope I can make it work... It would be awsome. Does any-one know if the autometer gauges will hook up to the factory sensors? If not, then it would be a much bigger project then I would want to deal with.

the sensors come with the gauges (assuming u get the electrical gauges)...so all you'd have to do is swap out the factory sensors for the autometer sensors...

yeah but these gauges arnt cheap either. Especially if you get a fuel pressure gauge. Youll have to get like a "sending unit" that goes from the fire to the inside of the car so the gas doesnt enter the car and yeah that gauge with that along is like $200

dotn you have the digital cluster in the Z34??

No? The only difference is it has red backlighting.

Say I install a speedo. The speedo's are pretty expensive, but the electronic ones say they work with "most" factory sensors. I might have to shoot them an email.

The elec. programmable speedo should work no problem. our cars count in pulses/mile. So does this. Only you program the pulses per mile on the AutoMeter (to account for different rate senders on all makes of cars). Tach will hook up no problem also (tested an autometer shift light, which works same way as a tach, by tapping into the tach feed to the stock cluster in my 95 Monte). Fuel gauge is 0-90 ohms (can use stock feed for this). Only things are temp and oil press which would need new senders run. For the SES light, you can use the stock wire w/an aftermarket LED (same w/turn signals, hibeam, w/e else you want to use). I've kicked this idea around for my Monte, and I feel I can safely assume your Lumina uses the same basic feeds/setups as my Monte does as both are OBD1 (well mines' OBD 1.5, but :lol: at that).

Really wouldn't be 'that' hard to do in my opinion. Just $$$

I had those in my last car, not half bad, but I can't stand the external dimmer, plus it doesn't really update the look of the dash. I would like the auto meter gauges because it would add depth to the dashboard. You see that alot now with new cars.

yeah I think it would look really good. But the problem is finding the gauges you need, making the backplate out of a material that matches. etc etc. The depth looks 10x better than just the flat cluster.

I had those in my last car, not half bad, but I can't stand the external dimmer, plus it doesn't really update the look of the dash. I would like the auto meter gauges because it would add depth to the dashboard. You see that alot now with new cars.

Ah, I see. I will hopefully have some indiglo gauges in my Beretta once I get a full cluster this summer. What was your last car that you had them in?