New Tires!!!

godofthunder

Ok yall, I need new tires, and now have the money for them. I was looking arround online tonihgt, and I couldnt find any 215/60R16 in the BFGoodwrench Radial T/As that I wanted.

I did find the Touring T/As. Has anyone ever tried them?

Also, what about some of the goodyear tires. Im looking for a performance, but still good weather (espc. in rain, and snow). And my limit is about $80 per tire

anyone?

Jon

PJB, tirerack doesnt carry them. I already checked.

I think I may go to Sams Bluc today, they had some Touring T/As in my size, and I like them.

Also, what about goodyear. Thats whats on there now (the regattas, which I hate). Anyone ever tried the Eagle Serries? Like now im looking at the Eagle GTII, any comments

Jon

Ok, here we go, I have narrowed it down to the following 3

1) BFGoodrich Touring T/A TR4 - $65

2) Dunlop GT Qualifier TR - $45

3) Goodyear Eagle GTII - $80 - whew

All three are in Tirerack.com's "Performance All Season", cept the BFG, which is in the "Touring" category. Im leaning more towards the first two, even more towards the BFG.

Any comments on the above tires? I know all are available at my Sams Club, and close to same prices, cept the Dunlops are $20 more. I really want sams, b/c they offer A LOT for instalation. Then, I would take it to either my dads friends shop, or Firestone, to have a 4 wheel alignment done.

So any comments on the above 3? Anyone use these?

Jon

i had the goodyears on my '89 cutty int. i didn't like them in the rain or snow... i found that they don't offer a lot of grip in wet conditions. they were a quiet tire that lasted a cfew years though ( i do have separate winters though )...

I use Goodyear Aquatread 3's in the stock 215/60-16 size. they are really great tires. I find the sidewalls to be a bit squishy, but that's ok, the wet weather and dry cornering more than make up for it. These are not only awesome in the rain, but they grab insanely for a all-season tire. They look great too! Think Gatorbacks with a more modern tread design.

Well

Good Years are out. Too expensive, and lowest ratings on tirerack. Yes, Sams had them, or the one here.

I saw some Dunlops, but not in that size. They did have one 205/50/15 that was wide as hell. But no 16's. And i didnt like the tread on them either. The reviews on them were good, espc. in cornering and stuff.

the BFG's had the best wet rating. And for the most part, not but .5 or less from the Qualifiers. And my major problem was wet/snow here, witht the tires now.

But, I have to special order them. They said if you do it online, its faster. Itll take less than 2 weeks. Now i need to call annd find a place for the alignment.

Jon

I got Goodyear Eagle GPS tires yesterday from Sam's for about $72 each. The total was about $350 for tax, disposal and installation for all 4 tires.

I went with 225 60R16. According to tirerack and all the books i've seen, that was the standard size with 235 being an option. My car had 215s on them, but i went with the books anyway. I'm happy with them so far, they performed a lot better than the old tires in the snow and stuff here.

godofthunder, i have the same rims you do, so maybe you can find 225s in the tire you want.

Good luck

Thats odd, caus on them now are 215/60-16s, and thats what I found listed for the most part as OEM. If 225/60-16 is stock, then i would get those anyways. Let me go look in my car

Jon

Just checked my Window sticker and my car.

215 is listed as orig, and then i have the sport luxuary package, with P215/60R16 Performance Tires. Then, in the trunk, On the tag, it says 215 also,

Does anyone know what actually came on these cars from the factory? Im just currious, want to know what they called performance tires.

Jon

That's odd. I figured the previous owner just put on smaller tires because they were cheaper. According to tirerack.com the original equipment was either 215 65R15 or 225 60R16 (optional alloys). I never looked in my Chilton book or in my owners manual. Unfortunately, it's late and cold and the books in the car on the driveway, so i'll check tomorrow.

It probably doesn't make much of a difference anyway. It's only 10mm.

i bought my cutty 'special order' in '89. at that time all of the w-body's i was looking at came with the 215-60r-16's from GoodYear (the GT +4 tire actually ). when my first set wore out in '91 it was IMPOSSIBLE to find another tire manufacturer that made that size so i HAD TO buy good year again...

the next tire shift more manufacturer's were making tha size and there was a LOT more variety...

...found the edit...

oooops, that was a finger problem...15 not/not 125 :o) ... okay, more drunken master fingers..... 215 .... arrrgggghhhhh ....bang...( sound of kyboard hitting wall ! )

I was always under the assumption that 215/60-16 was stock with the alloys, and that 225/60-16 was the optional.

Dude, what Goodyear tires were you looking at that had the poorest wet weather performance?

My cars' factory size tire was 225/60 16. I went with 235/55 16. Basically I would choose the closest tire you can if you dont want to go with the stock tire. That is if you are worried about speedo calibration. :) :)

I was always under the assumption that 215/60-16 was stock with the alloys, and that 225/60-16 was the optional.

215/60R16 came on all cars with the base engine and 16" wheels.

225/60R16 came on all cars with 3.4 DOHC.

After a certain year (I don't know which), 225's were standard on all cars with 16" wheels regardless of engine.

The exception is Grand Prix which got 245/50R16 with the crosslace 16" which were part of the B4U package. 245's were available up to 93 I think.

Well, I ordered them the BFG.

The Goodyear Eagle GTII had the lowest wet perfomance on tirerack.com of the tires i was looking at.

I went with 215, manily since I didnt wanna mess with the spedo. And I didnt have enought time/enough motivation to look up what ratio i woul dneed to make it near close). When I buy tires next, I will prob change (that and get new rims)

Also, anyone got 2 sawblade 16" olds ones? I have two that arent the best, and am thinking of replacing them

Jon