Got STE back from dealer, trans is perfect now!!!

dbtk2

Just got the STE back from the dealer. It now has all gears, shifts properly, and has no delay or anything like that. They ended up just going through the tranny and fixing the problems. Turns out the valve body had dirt and other stuff in it and thats why it wasn't working perfectly before and is what caused it to go. (i suspected this) They basically did a rebuild on it in addition to rebuilding/cleaning the valve body. I was also suprised they didn't try to pull anything on me when I went to pick it up and the bill said $0. :mrgreen: They claim it is a turbo tranny, but I still have my doubts. And also the moron technician took the damn check valve off the vacuum line to the modulator. Damn people thinking they are fixing a problem. I need to go back in there and yell at them for that still. Pisses me off that they didn't even say anything about it or give it back to me either. :mad:

So I drove it from the dealer to my house (since the dealer didn't tighten the hose from the I/C to the TB so I had no boost) to get a screwdriver to tighten up the boost lines, then I drove it straight to the dyno for the michigan gp club dyno day. The car dynoed really really shitty since I hadn't had time to do anything at all to it once I got it back from them. I have no idea at all what kind of boost it was running, but I know it was well over 10psi (15psi on my stock boost gauge = 10psi) since my stock boost gauge was WAY more than pegged, and I think thats what my problem was. It dynoed ~2whp less than it did when it was stock and 21wtq. less. It was also rediculously lean due to the boost levels it was running. Running ~9psi boost the injectors are static and the 02 readings are where I want them to be, so obviously with over 10psi thats gonna put it way lean. Peak torque was at 3100rpm and peak hp was at 4800rpm. I imagine once I get it tuned somewhere close to where it should be it will do much better. I was definately not happy nor the least bit impressed with the numbers. Everyone said the car sounded really sweet on the dyno though.

Just thought I would fill you guys in on what it did and how the trans is doing now.

Shawn

GM didn't put a check valve on our transmission when the previous owner had it rebuilt. It was amazing how much nicer it shifted when I threw one on there.

Cool, I can't believe the dealer didn't hassle you more. They give you a new guarantee since they opened it up? Or just the same original warranty from goodwrench?

Cool, I can't believe the dealer didn't hassle you more. They give you a new guarantee since they opened it up? Or just the same original warranty from goodwrench?

The same warranty applies. I have like 2 years 8 months and like 98,500 miles left.

Great to hear everything is working out.

My TSTE had the vac line that was supposed to go to the vacuum canister going to the exhaust port of the check valve. Needless to say it took me a while to get all the vacuum lines correct in that car.

I just sold one of those check valves to a customer at napa the other day. He was trying to get his cruise control to work on a turbo daytona, so I told him how GM used the three way valve with a vacuum canister. Apparently Chrysler at some point had a setup that pulled vacuum from the itake system before the turbo inlet to feed the cruise and such, not a bad idea for easy of a vacuum booster change over. As long as you have a intake pipe of some sort you can tap into.

Great to hear everything is working out.

My TSTE had the vac line that was supposed to go to the vacuum canister going to the exhaust port of the check valve. Needless to say it took me a while to get all the vacuum lines correct in that car.

ooooh, thats messed up .the previous owner of my new project tgp had the boost controller hooked up to the tranny and cut the steel line for the tranny IN HALF! and patched it in to other vacuum lines. :lol: :confused: