sc 3.4 very interesting

toastemcutlass

Very smart man. He must of sat down with the computer, and figured out everything he could about it, and using some good programming skills, loaded the program onto the computer. I know how to program, but i couldn't image doing something like that.

I've seen that, and thought you guys knew about it. I e-mailed the guy a few months ago asking specific questions on the make-up and programming for a boosted DOHC and got no answers. Bummer... plus, the lower intake need to be smaller (in height) since that M62 supercharger is sitting high to fit under a stock hood.

- RedFox340

Awww heck, I knew about that project way back in '96! :lol:

Well, maybe not that long ago, but pretty close. It's been posted around on some of the old forums that were around 5yrs ago.

On a 3.4 DOHC, I wouldn't bother with a roots blower, centrifugal would be the way to go due to space constraints. That, plus a centrifugal is more efficient, or so I've heard.

na, a csc has lag like a turbo. a roots blower is that, a roots blower. If i had a choice i would pick the roots and mount it in place of the a/c system then do all the ducting work.

na, a csc has lag like a turbo. a roots blower is that, a roots blower. If i had a choice i would pick the roots and mount it in place of the a/c system then do all the ducting work.

A CSC doesn't have lag like a turbo car. I will say that it is not instant full boost like a roots style, but it's much more linear than a turbo. It's definitely a step between the two as there are factors that link the CSC to both the roots and a turbo. The adiabic efficiency of a CSC is much better than a roots, which would lead to lower air intake temps. Plus it's much easier to plumb an intercooler, which would lower your air intake temp even more. You can run a lot more boost than would be able to with a roots(assuming the engine can take it).

The only car that I've ever heard of that you could get from the factory or least a GM dealer with a CSC was a Corvair in the late 60's. Otherwise it's pretty much all aftermarket. Anyone else know of a factory CSC???

Yes a csc is more linear but it is still quite peaky in the airflow. After all it is basically a compressor side of a turbo that is belt/gear driven. Maybe i shouldn't call it lag...how bout dead spot in the boost. The way the impellers in both turbo's and csc's is that they have to be spinning at x amount of speed before they start compressing air (those wonderfully complex compressor flow charts).

This is probably a bad analogy, but a turbo is always spinning, just not fast enough to produce boost. Same with a csc. While the effect is far less severe with a csc it is still there.

Now a roots blower, it doesn't compress anything, it only moves air. Thats why there isn't any lag and why it is used so much in drag racing.

You're absolutely right about everything you said. I just wanted it to be clear that a CSC is a good median between a turbo and roots style blower 8)

Oops, must have misread what you said. You are right, they are a good median between the 2.