Fighting GM for the cradle recall *UPDATE W/ PICS*

gp90se

make this a short as I can.

My 89 regal, the rear cradle mounts are rotted thru and the subframe is starting 2 fall, GM had a recall about the cradle mounts, and the front two were replaced on the car in 2002 @67k miles by the prior owner.

now i am at 80k now and before the cradle actually does hit the road, I am trying 2 get GM to honor the safety recall, but they are fighting me tooth and nail. First they said there was no recall, so I get the recall number (00065A) and they tell me my car is not in the vin range....

the last digits on my vin are k1466522, the official recall is here

(again, 1989 Buick regal)

Wrecall.jpg

What is it going to take for me to get GM to actually do this recall, Ive called buick and the buick dealership, some head guy from GM is supposed 2 call me tomorrow...

I would also like to thank Canada for all his old posts, they are how I have got to this point with GM.

Yeah.. good luck. I went through this with my old '89. Needless to say, I have that car no more.

I apologize if I don't sound encouraging, but I'm really pissed at GM about this.

Since it is a safety recall, GM MUST honor that recall irregardless of how old the car is... But, the dealerships must have a way of verifying that our cars were affected by that recall. Unfortunatly, our cars are getting old enough that most GM dealerships can't verify that any more.

I ran in to that same problem here at our dealership. GM Dealerworld didn't have our VIN anymore since the car was so old. BUT, I was able to call Pontiac Customer Service, and they were able to verify that I had no open recalls on the car....Though I don't trust this simply because we bought the car from the original owner, and he claimed that he never got any sort of recall notices. :confused:

Same problem here. dealership tried to tell me my VIN was wrong on my registration card because they couldn't find it in the "system". I went back a couple days later to try again, and this time the guy told me he found it and that the cradle recall had already been done to my car. It was never done, I've had this car the whole time. They like to lie.

If wose comes to worst, just buy the updated cradle bolts/retainers and do it yourself. GM will still sell the parts, whether your car is covered under the recall or not.

My car is on that list as it is a LF288XXX I have inspected my retainers many times, and there is no surface rust or anything, so I'm not too worried.

If I ever get some motivation I'll head to GM and see if they cover it, I'd still like to do it myself, I don't trust anyone else that I don't know to work on my car.

FWIW: I've never had a problem with the VIN on the lumina. On the Cutlass they where suprised how old it was. The vin plate is actually different also.

I've never had a problem looking up stuff by vin.

Kevin had the parts replaced on the 88 and all they replaced where the retainers. My bushings are shot!

DSC00007.jpg

(again, 1989 Buick regal)

so from what I uderstnd, this recall is only for the older w-bodys? Or is it for all of them like any 93-94 cars?

The problem is resolved on any 1992 and up car

what exactly was the problem? were the bolts breaking or were the mounts on the body rusting through and falling out?

The cradle was retaining water and this caused the retainers and bolts to rust. Sometimes the retainers would pull through, sometimes the bolts would break (in my case, that's what happened, the latter). GM added water drain holes to the cradle, I believe, which helped. I'm not sure what else was done, but I know they have a whole new cradle after '92.

what exactly was the problem? were the bolts breaking or were the mounts on the body rusting through and falling out?

The cradle was retaining water and this caused the retainers and bolts to rust. Sometimes the retainers would pull through, sometimes the bolts would break (in my case, that's what happened, the latter). GM added water drain holes to the cradle, I believe, which helped. I'm not sure what else was done, but I know they have a whole new cradle after '92.

After '90, just so you know.

Woot I have the shitty cradle :D:D lol...so far nothing has dropped out of my engine bay, but I'm waiting for that day, hopefully NOT when I'm driving somewhere extremely fast

BTW--I dunno how to tell by the VIN, did my car ever qualify? 2G1WN11T8L9179871 thanks

Woot I have the shitty cradle :D:D lol...so far nothing has dropped out of my engine bay, but I'm waiting for that day, hopefully NOT when I'm driving somewhere extremely fast

BTW--I dunno how to tell by the VIN, did my car ever qualify? 2G1WN11T8L9179871 thanks

Yes, your car would fall into that catagory.

on a side note, my 91 Regal had the issue, and it was taken care of by a GM dealership about 10 months ago without hastle. (acording to the previous owner)

--Dave.

LIK ZOMG U POSTAD UR VINE NUMBAR ONLIEN I AM GOANG TU STEEL URE KARZOMFGOMSG!!11!1!1!111THIRTEEN$TEXAS2WQROJE

NAU POZT UR LISENZ PLAET NUMBAR SAU I KNUE WHARE U LIV111!!!!1TYLEREWRFK

Lol go for it ;) I dunno how you guys create or can decode that...all I get is "Like oh my God you posted your VIN online. I am going to steal your car, Oh my fucking God message?? Something about Texas? And then You posted your license plate number so I know where you live"....anyway I dunno how you guys can make that up lol....and yeah, all you need to do is see my car parked anywhere, write down the license plate # and go up to it and write the VIN from the windshield location...I don't see what the big deal is lol

I didn't see a big deal with it... which is why I answered the question.

I think it's post like that, which should land people in the "courthouse" (if this version even has that option)

--Dave.

I posted about this a while back too...when I first bought my 91 Lumina 3.1 some years back,it was used,I got a letter in the mail about my car needed the recall done.It applied mainly to northern states that had alot of salt use.They replaced the front cradle bolts and etc under warranty and so far all has been good.However,if your car came from the south somewhere at one time,it may not be on the list for a recall.Its mainly northern areas that get alot of snow and salted roads.

That can be why some of you do not appear to be on the list as well.

GM keeps fighting me with this. There is a full inch or more of play from the retainer on 1 side. They keep saying they cannot tell if my car is in the recall or not (hey, fucktards, my fronts were done). Friday I will be getting a call from the servace manager with a final answer, but I called a favor from a buddy, going to do the bushings soon.

From now on, I am a studabaker man.

I didn't see a big deal with it... which is why I answered the question.

I think it's post like that, which should land people in the "courthouse" (if this version even has that option)

--Dave.

Lighten up, it was a joke. It was meant to be sarcastic, and nobody would have been courthoused for posting something like that.

It didn't even apply to you.

Couldnt wait anymore, pulled a favor, got the rear mounts at dealer cost, took me 20 minutes to do the 1 that was shot. Still going 2 try 2 get GM to reimburst me

Couldnt wait anymore, pulled a favor, got the rear mounts at dealer cost, took me 20 minutes to do the 1 that was shot. Still going 2 try 2 get GM to reimburst me

pics of old versus new???