hmm, need audio expertise

3pt1lumina

I want to add a "system" to one of my Luminas. Now, here's the deal. My friend is GIVING me 2 12" Pioneer's and a box for them. He did an upgrade in his car and no longer needs this. I already know I need to buy an amp.

First of all, I don't want to get rid of the stock head unit. I also don't want to cut any wiring in the vehicle's original wiring harnesses as well.

So my questions...

-Is this possible to do with a stock h/u? If so, how?

-What kind of amp should I get?

Any halfway decent amp you buy will have speaker level inputs, so you can just tap the rear speaker wires for a signal. Otherwise Best Buy sells RCA converters. So yes, you can keep the stock HU.

I would just use a bridged two channel amp to power them. I couldn't begin to suggest a brand for you though. Any specs on these subs?

Cool so I can use my stock HU... and I don't have to cut wires.

I can get more info tomorrow on the speakers. My main concern was about the HU and wiring.

I can get more info tomorrow on the speakers. My main concern was about the HU and wiring.

the only wires that you will have to cut with be the rear speaker wires

If you really don't want to cut any wires, you can use an inline splice...Ive done it many times and it works flawlessly.

If you really don't want to cut any wires, you can use an inline splice...Ive done it many times and it works flawlessly.

only if you use the twist- on splice. those little blue ones work allright but the posi-lock with the metal spike are NICE!

Get RCA converters but just to let you know...the sound quality from a aftermakrket HU compared to your stock HU will be night and day. I ran a stock head unti to my system in my Cadillac STS and when I upgraded to a aftermakret HU it was anamazing sound quality diffrence.

as for the amp...if you want quality I would go directed, if you want sheer loudness any brand (i.e. pheonix gold, royal red, lanzar, blitz)

Thanks for the advice so far everyone. I didn't see him today at work but the next time I work (which is Tuesday) I'll ask.

As for what I am going for, I want a nicer sounding, crisp, clear sound. I am not looking to set off car alarms or win competitions, just a little more bump than stock.