Cruise Control

PCGUY112887

So all of the writing is worn off of my cruise control settings on my 96 Grand Prix, it looks like the little sider when all the way left is off, middle is on, and to the right is increase speed or something (doesn't click over there just pushes and comes back)

I tried setting it to Off, speeding up to about 55mph, then switching it to ON and letting my foot off the gas but it didn't do anything. Sliding over to increase speed (which I believe what it's for) doesn't do anything either.

Am I missing something here? I'm fairly sure my aunt used to use it all the time when the car used to be hers (hence why it's worn).

Thanks.

Is it a 88-93? If so then its vacuum operated, and if you have a vacuum leak, it wont work

So all of the writing is worn off of my cruise control settings on my 96 Grand Prix,

:thumb:

Oh, well, hmm, never mind then, my moms 99 Grand am has an issue where the button is worn on the back pad and wont stay depressed, but thats entirely different

Oh, well, hmm, never mind then, my moms 99 Grand am has an issue where the button is worn on the back pad and wont stay depressed, but thats entirely different

N-bodies, at least Aleros and GA's had problems with the stalk assemblies.

Cruise isnt on the stalk, its on the bottom of the steering wheel

Cruise isnt on the stalk, its on the bottom of the steering wheel

Thanks, my bad. Now that I remember, my buddy had an Alero and broke the Cruise Control somehow when he was trying to get it to work.

It's also possible that the wires protruding out the back of the stalk are frayed. Luckily the stalk is easily replaced. The (tiny) 4-wire harness for the cruise switch plugs into the wiper switch, and the stalk itself snaps into the wiper switch also. Unplug the harness and pull the stalk straight out, it's that simple. Installation is reverse of removal...

Sorry to hijack, but mine is vaccum operated, and after this terrible shop replaced my cars computer, it stopped working. if its vaccum operated, the computer has nothing to do with it?