Sounds like something made a home in my heater box

Arfur

Well My car sat out at a friends house while the cat was fouled and I got it fixed and was driving it around and turned on the heater and it sounds like something made a nest in there or something. It was out in the country and when we were worknig on it and took out the air box it looked like a squirel was living in there so it doesn't seem too far fetched that one of those little bastards made a nest in my heater box too.

But enough rambling, is there and easy way to get to the inside of my air box or is this one of those things I need to take the dash apart for? and while I'm thinking about I'm gonna go clean out my air box

oh and it's a 92 z34

I know what box is or at least a "hot" box.

But wtf are you talking about? When you say heater box you mean your heater core; and when you say air box you mean the one under the hood.

Please clarify.

But wtf are you talking about? When you say heater box you mean your heater core; and when you say air box you mean the one under the hood.

yea that's what I mean

sorry if I worded that screwy, but when I turn my blower on the fan inside vibrates really bad like there is something inside of the heater box. The only reason I mentioned the air box is because something had previously made a home in there.

Please refer to the heater box as, the heater core. Just so people know what your talking about.

Chances are your blower motor is on it's way out. It's the piece that actually blows the air out the vents. It's a glorified fan.

If your going to replace it you might as well replace the heater core, and or anything else serviceable while your down there.

Yea I just read my first post and I got confused myself, but I know what the insides of the "heater core" look like I've taken one apart on a ranger. What I wanted to know is if I have to take my dash out or if there is a simplier way to get to it because on a ranger you can get at it on the under side of the dash. I'd rather hear from someone that has knowledge about taking this apart before I just start taking stuff apart and see what things look like when I take apart pieces of plastic. I'm sure I can figure it out, but it never hurts to know a little about what your doing before you do it.

1. Disconnect negative battery terminal

2. Raise front of vehicle, and support it on jackstands

3. Drain the cooling system

4. Remove the drain hose from the bottom of the heater core

5. Working in the passenger compartment, remove the panels from under the dash and the steering column trim covers. Also remove the floor console, if equipped.

6. Remove the the heater outlet duct and glove box.

7. Disconnect the heater hoses from the heater core

8. On models where the heater pipes are not integral with the core, remove the metal clips where the heater core pipes enter the core, then twist and pull the two pipes out of the core. Remove the heater core. CAUTION: Have plenty of rags on the floor to protect the carpet from spilled coolant.

9. Installation is the reverse of removal. Refill the cooling system

Straight from the Haynes manual....looks like you just need to remove the access panels under the dash, and the glove box.

If you just want to remove the blower fan, I believe you can remove it without removing anything else, though it is a royal pain. If you want I can type out those instructions as well

If you just want to remove the blower fan, I believe you can remove it without removing anything else, though it is a royal pain. If you want I can type out those instructions as well

At this point I just kind of would like to get to the blower fan because to me it sounds and feels like there's something caught in there, I'm pretty sure I don't need to mess with the heater core. So basically take the glove box out and the few plastic pannels below the dash to get to the blower then. Thanks for the help

Here's the instructions to remove the blower motor:

1. Disconnect negative side of battery

2. Working in the passenger compartment, remove the panel below the glove compartment.

3. Pull down the carpet as necessary so that you can see the blower motor, then disconnect the wires from the blower motor.

4. Remove the convience center rear screws, loosen the front screw and slide the convience center out. (by looking as the picture, it looks like a board with larger relays mounted into it....it is directly in front of the blower motor in the picture.)

5. Remove the blower motor mounting bolts and seperate the motor/fan assembly from the housing

6. Remove the retaining nit, if so equipped. Note: If the blower fan is pressed onto the shaft, it can be removed by cutting through the plastic shaft sleeve with a "hot-knife" until it splits, or by pressing it off.

7. Installation is the reverse of the removal procedure.

hey man thanks a lot, that helped out a bit. I had to unbolt the fuse box right in fornt of it so could see what I was donig too. Let me tell ya that was a royal pita to get that blower out, I wasn't sure how easy it would be to put back together but it worked out alright. Something was definatly trying to make a home in there, I pulled out a nest about the size of my fist. Thanks again