The Cutlass shall live!

19Cutlass94

Well for those who dont know ( which is prolly most ) my car has been in the shop for a week. I finially got it back today. Now why was it in the shop? Heres the reason: Last week I was leaving school to go home for my 3 hour break. It just got done raining and the roads were still pretty wet. As Im leaving school, I go to make a left down the street I need to be on to get onto the highway. Well someone decided to run a red light. Thankfully I did not get into an accident with this person. Instead I swerved to avoid them, but after that, my car slide into the curb. No matter what I tried, I couldnt stop the car from being on a path with the curb. I dont know exactly how fast I was going because I was more concerned with other things at hand. Well I hit the curb. At first I thought I had a flat tire. Ok I can deal with that, well not really because I dont have a spare in my trunk. So I pull over and look at it, and well the wheel was straight back, almost touching the back of the inner fender well. I tried to look underneath, see what I could find, but I couldnt see too good. So I called my dad and he asked if I could drive it home, I said yes but it prolly wont be very pretty. Well I drive the 15 miles home like that. I jacked up the passengers side of the car and found some major damage. The subframe was bent where the control arm bolts to it, it was smashed about half way in.

So what did I need replaced? A new subframe or craddle, new control arms, new hub, knuckle assembly, new strut, new rim. When doing the 4 wheel alignment, found I needed a new inner tie rod end, I got new mounts for the tranny/engine. Need a new strut tower bearing ( was a problem before now I just know what it is ) and there was something else but for the life of me I cannot remember what it was! :willynilly:

So my dad had me take the car to OTTO Oldsmobile ( yes a dealer ) to get it fixed. and I finially got it back today. And I gotta say, I realized I had a bad engine mount from before, obviously a bad inner tie rod since it got replaced, and found out what I need to replace. and I also need to replace the Inner fender well since the tire was rubbing on it, and its split and makes a bad noise over alot of bumps.

But after all that, I can finially drive my Cutlass again! Needless to say Im not happy about the situation, but atleast I didnt get into an accident, which prolly woulda been worse, and I still have my car.

I'm sure that didn't come cheap either....

Regardless, at least your driving it again...sounds like it was an experience.

Werd, does your car feel new again?

And this might just be my opinion, but aren't you supposed to replace struts and strut bearings in pairs?

<---------jealous, because he needs to get off his ass and get his shit running........hasn't even looked at it in almost two weeks.....

WERD, except more like 2 months. I even walk in the front door now, because I don't want to see it.

I'm sure that didn't come cheap either....

haha yeah your telling me. Now some other plans have to be held off because of this.

That must be bad when you dont even wanna look at it anymore. But then again its not like a had a choice to get it fixed or not.

<---------jealous, because he needs to get off his ass and get his shit running........hasn't even looked at it in almost two weeks.....

WERD, except more like 2 months. I even walk in the front door now, because I don't want to see it.

lol, I gotcha both beat, 8 months :lol:, but it doesnt help when it's 4 hours away

I wonder how it's doing

haha yeah I think the worst thing is when your car is getting fixed and you havent even seen it, you dont know whats goin on with it or anything. Atleast if you fix it yourself, you know whats up.

But Jeremy, dont be jelous. I can promise you that mines cost much more to fix that yours will end up costing :lol:

lol, I gotcha both beat, 8 months :lol:, but it doesnt help when it's 4 hours away

I wonder how it's doing

I have all of you beat by 2 years on the 89 cutlass supreme and about a year one of the 88 cutlass supremes and 3 years on the other cutlass supreme.....

I wonder how it's doing

I have all of you beat by 2 years on the 89 cutlass supreme and about a year one of the 88 cutlass supremes and 3 years on the other cutlass supreme.....

My 91 vert still needs a transmission.... so for now... 8 months of stationary action... are we fighting to see who puts off the work the longest.... or how long to actually fix??? I hope this up coming weekend I can pull the tranny, Since i got a kit and I'll be less than 5 hours (of not more!) from where the vert is stored.

haha Im just trying to find out where this "bang bang" is coming from everytime I go over a healthy bump. I think I might have fixed it, but well see tomorrow when I go for a little drive.

But I did find out one thing...GM techs cant adjust a STB bar for shit!

haha Im just trying to find out where this "bang bang" is coming from everytime I go over a healthy bump. I think I might have fixed it, but well see tomorrow when I go for a little drive.

Wow that's encouraging...

Wow that's encouraging...

Well I found out what that "bang bang" is when I hit a bump. haha your gonna laugh at this one, but its the splash guard by the lower engine mount on the passengers side :lol:

Its nothing that the guys at the shop did, I think it broke when I hit the curb. But Ill have to investigate and see if I can fix it or if I need a new one. I kinda knew it wasnt something that the guy did at the shop, those guys are some of the best in the area here.

But yeah thats kinda funny though