Race Team (long) kinda

NeverSayDie

I have been pondering this idea for a while now...why not have a w-body race team. I'm not talking about turning left all the time either. Let's face it, the only new w-body platforms worth a crap would have to be the Monte Carlo and the Grand Prix. We could field two cars, one of each. We could enter races like the Speed Channel sponsers all the time, plus attend SCCA events. If we split the costs between all involved, it wouldn't be as expensive as you might think. Trials would have to be held to determine the drivers of the cars then those drivers would have to be licensed. Much of the ideas for modifications could be gleamed from the wealth of knowledge about these cars that is collectively posessed here. Of course, the cars would have to meet safety inspections and such. A tire sponsership could probably be picked up along the way, easing the cost even further. Maybe factory backing could come into play. Then all we would have to worry about is getting the cars setup, and developing strategies. i know this is probably far fetched...just something to kick around a bit

yeah that would be pretty neat, plus, in the SCCA, there are many levels, one, where only 3 mods are allowed, so its basically stock cars racing and then on up from there. One major problem, people on this board are from all over the nation, it would be pretty hard to get everyone together in a place where all that wanted to be involved could

Robby

Personally, I would like to see a Gen I W-body, rather than a Gen II. Gen IIs are too common. I would think something with low end torque would really be good for road racing. I would say, if we could find a 3.1L in the lightest Gen I W-body, build that 3.1L from the block up with performance parts, Gen III heads and what not, it would be a torque monster. Mfewtrail is building up a 3.1L that he expects to have like 255+ ftlbs. Then, if we can could put lower compression pistons in there, cuz the Gen III heads are 9.5:1, we could turbo it, with a T3/T4 hybird, and then have power down low and up top. Plus the rebuild would get the redline a little higher, if we beefed up the valvetrain. And, since its pushrod, its more reliable than an LQ1 for racing purposes. Of course all of this would have to mated to a manual I would guess the Getrag 282, cuz of availabilty and upgradeability. Put coilovers in place of that monoleaf, 7/8" rear sway bar, stiffer springs up front, strut tower braces. I think there are 12" rotors out there somewhere too. So, the car would preferably have to have 4 wheel discs, so no Gen 1.5 Montes, and it would need to be 2 door to cut down on weight. In actuality, with all the knowledge on this site, that would not be hard at all, just a little expensive, and like you said, if we were decent, a tire sponsor or even manufacturer sponsor would not be too terribly hard to get. Sorry, for the long post, I just have a lot of ideas for this.

Robby

i am all for this, i want to race my regal or another one ,i want to race.A regal is perfect, i think we should call up all perfromacne places and ask for contigency money., buick has no race team, i would bet they would be willing to help out

yeah we should. I do agree with NeverSayDie, that we should do two cars. A regal would be a comlplete sleeper. Who would expect a regal to race? Thats why I like the regal idea. However, I would love to see a Gen I Prix out there! I do think that the two lighest W-bodies should be used though.

Robby

I am already working on doing that to my cutlass.......if you guys wanna come help...lets do it....I'm already doing the t3-t4 hybrid and the walve train upgrades....I'm even thinking about boring the block and maybe a little more stroke...see if I can get it to 3.5L..I know 3.4 is attainable...they already had done 3.4 with the 3.1 block in the 90's cameros...and I am not talking the 3.4 dohc.....

I had already been running my cutlass on the scca track at qualcomm stadium in san diego...I was running it courtisy of the corvette club there.... and up untill I moved I was getting ready to be sponcered by the local chevy/ olds dealer....they were looking at my car as cheap advertising against the ricers

I am already working on doing that to my cutlass.......if you guys wanna come help...lets do it....I'm already doing the t3-t4 hybrid and the walve train upgrades....I'm even thinking about boring the block and maybe a little more stroke...see if I can get it to 3.5L..I know 3.4 is attainable...they already had done 3.4 with the 3.1 block in the 90's cameros...and I am not talking the 3.4 dohc.....

How hard's that T3/T4 hybrid gonna be for you? Will it bolt up to the turbo grand prix rear exhaust manifold and crossover, or is custom fabrication in order? I think it would be a great project. If you dont mind, could you let me know what all is needed for the T3/T4 conversion? I want to turbo my 3.1L, although not soon, but I figure, I gotta start searching for parts, cuz it might take a while to get everthing

Robby

I dont think it will be too hard....I think the ones they make for my lebaron will fit the 3.1.....if not they sell the flanges sep and I will just have the old flange cut off and the one I need welded on...and since the turbo is up high and not buried like on my little dodge it should be fairly easy to get to....the biggets challege is going to be cost I think....I do wonder one thing though....the t3/t4 hybrids work well on 4cyl 1.6 to 2.5l motors..but would it be a little small for a 3.1L+ motor?..any of you got any Ideas?

anything can be done, as long as im involved, i can get seriously creative when it comes to cars.............. if money was no object, you guys be gettin my autograph lol

God I wish I could get in on that. Sounds like so much fun. Won't be settled down for a least 3 more years. Money sounds like it would be the only problem thou. But with a good salesman you can get sponsors to cover that.

Laterz,

William Grimmer

The main reason I wanted to run the GP and the Monte was because they are still being manufactured in a decent form. Since they aren't killed off like Olds, it would probably be easier to get sponsership. You gotta think, if someone saw a w-body winning races they'd be like "hey I wonder what they have done to that car...and can I do that to my car?" we would be creating our own aftermarket following. I would love to run and Olds though. That's why I chose NeverSayDie. I'd rather run a cutty with no factory backing and show them all what someone could do with no help from corperate jackasses! Anyhow, we still have a lot of figuring out to do here...we all know the lightest gen-1 car was the lumina...we gotta figure out what kind of class the powertrain would fit into, and what the exact specs are for that class

If you go to http://www.scca.com they have all the listings for all the qualifications for cars. For some reason, every time I try to acces the lists of cars eligible for the different classes, it gives me an error message. If anyone could get in there and figure out what classes we are looking at it would be very helpful

I started going through thier site...our cars are only allowed to compete in one class in the club devision..gt1 it's the fastest of the grand touring devisions...and the only cars allowed in are the cutlass, lumina and the regal..they dont allow the grand prix for some reason..I have ont had a chance yet to check the other divisions..but the road racing looks promising

they dont have any displacment restrictions that I saw...and both super chargers and turbos were allowed...what they do have is minimum weight requirements vs hp and vehicle age limits by class and other things....that was for the big bend open...I didnt see any on the silver state race....just lots and lots of tech requirements for saftey