General 91 Grand Prix 3.1L Restoration questions.

TheAntiCivic

Aight, this car means alot to my mom and wants to completly restore the car. She wants to put a new motor/tranny in the car, maybe add a cam to the motor. New suspension, and wants to do a little bit of audio work, and add an alarm, maybe keyless entry, maybe remote start.

So I'll start with this. She mentioned wanting to see about putting a V8 in the car, I said no FWD V8's are wroth it and a RWD conversion is costly... Obviously she was kinda looking to go faster (which i think is funny) but she's back to putting another 3.1L in it, which is an idea I like. We'd like to add a cam to it but it has to be a streetable cam cause this car isn't really going to see track action at all. I'm semi-talking her into a supercharger, but I don't see any set ups for it so she might be just SOL. Gimme some ideas for a good company for a crate motor to put in and a good cam to put in, and any ideas for the Supercharger would be nice. If not I'm just going to make an intake for the car. I'll be doing the exhaust, maybe even making headers for the car through flowmaster mufflers...

Are there any chips for this car that are tuned for certian cams? superchargers? cam and supercharger?

As far as tranny, she wants to put a stock one in there. I don't have a clue what the tranny code is ( all I know is that it's a 91 and it's an automatic 4 speed). Would a brand new stock tranny hold up to a supercharger if it ever goes that far? Anything to beef the car up to handle it?

Suspension. Basically wants the car to ride like stock. Again the car isn't going to see track action. So what quality suspension components exist for this car that isn't going to take away from the factory feel? I want to add some sway bars, i'm not sure what shocks use though.

Brakes, probably be replaced with factory rotors, calipers, and pads.

Rims and tires are taken care of.

Paint code for the black thats factory? just incase there's something specific.

Audio/security. She might want to add some modern audio to the car, add a security system, maybe with keyless entry and remote start. Any ideas on what to use here?

Basically we're going to restore this car to original factory spec. Beef up the motor a little bit, tighten up the suspension a lil ( as long as ride quality is still there) and add some audio/security.

Any ideas on any of this would be appreciated. I would prefer that people keep they're stupid useless comments to theirselves. This project is very real and I would like to have only real information.

Thanks in advance

I would prefer that people keep they're stupid useless comments to theirselves. This project is very real and I would like to have only real information.

People here are very helpful. You don't need to be so callous. :?

First and formost, there is no supercharger setup available for your car. Your only hope would be centrifugal, and they are simply far too costly. Your best bet for boost is finding a 1989-1990 Turbo Grand Prix engine and transmission. That way you're getting boosted, and you have a transmission that should easily handle the (stock) power. There are cams available for the 3.1, but I seriously wouldn't even bother with a VIN "T" (even though there are people on this board who swear up and down a naturally aspirated 3.1 is the way to go for power :roll:)

You haven't mentioned if this was an SE or an LE. An SE would already have the higher-end factory suspension (FE3). LE's are stuck with FE1. If you have an LE, pull the front springs and monoleaf from an FE3-equipped SE. Replace the struts with KYB GR-2's.

Paint codes are on the SPID label.

Lastly, there's no need to be a dick.

I didn't intend to be a dick, sorry if it came across that way. I just know some people make retarded comments that are completly off topic and just didn't want to get too far off topic.

The car is an SE, and I figure we'll just put it back to factory spec with new stuff.

I used to own a 3.1L beretta, but that was WAY back in the day so I'm not too familiar with whats still available.

I do know those TGP's are a lil on the hard side to find though.

As of right now the only definate plan is to put a new motor and tranny in. This isn't really gonna be a car we're out to make a ton of power with, she wants it to be more fun so I figure it's just easiest to stick with mods that are ment for this 3.1 motor... ya know?

Thanks so far.

You aren't gonna get much power out of a 3.1, unless you get a turbocharged (TGP) motor...

L67 supercharged 3.8 is really the way to go for cheap power. It depends how much power you are looking for, a 3400 engine might be a cheap and easy option to work on instead of an old 3.1.

Yeah a 3800 s/c is a nice option... we had GP with that motor in it for a few months. It was alotta fun. But I think in this case if it's not a "bolt on" type mod then I don't think we're going to persue it. So I guess the TGP set up would be the only option for power other then a cam. We're really not looking to make gobs of power, just something a lil more then just a standard 3.1L motor. The TGP power or a bolt on s/c power (if it existed) in the lowest stage form would be sufficient for this car.

I saw the topic on the differences between the TGP motor and the regular 3.1L blocks. Is it safe, longevity wise, to run a TGP set up on a regular 3.1L?

Guest TurboSedan
Is it safe, longevity wise, to run a TGP set up on a regular 3.1L?

i would have to say...yes :D that's exactly what i did and mine is running great. up to about 240,000 miles now and it has never been rebuilt. made good power on the dyno too. i've been pushing 10psi through for around 10,000 miles now and it's still running great.

TGP engine parts really aren't too hard to find IMO. just keep checking the FS section here and ebay. and yes it's all bolt on. turbocharging my 3.1 cost me about $1000 but like i said i didn't rebuild the engine.

TGP engine parts really aren't too hard to find IMO. just keep checking the FS section here and ebay. and yes it's all bolt on. turbocharging my 3.1 cost me about $1000 but like i said i didn't rebuild the engine.

What parts do you need to turbo the 3.1? obviously the turbo it's self . I Just sort of assumed they would have built the TGP 3.1 a bit hardier then the run of the mill 3.1, am I wrong on that? you know beefier block heads etc.

Brakes, probably be replaced with factory rotors, calipers, and pads.

Personally I would defiantly do the 94+ Rear Caliper Conversion. 89-93 Rear Calipers are total junk, on the three W-bodies I've worked on so far, I have yet to find one not seized.

There is a very nice tutorial in the W-Body Upgrades section, under calipers.

Mitch

You aren't gonna get much power out of a 3.1, unless you get a turbocharged (TGP) motor...

L67 supercharged 3.8 is really the way to go for cheap power. It depends how much power you are looking for, a 3400 engine might be a cheap and easy option to work on instead of an old 3.1.

SoI may be sorry for asking this, but what about using the 3.4L? I mean they have much better performace out of the box then the 3.1 and have more potential right?

I have been tring to decide myself what to do for power. I currently have the 3.1 which is just ok, wished it got better mileage for the little power it puts out.

This is true... a 3.4 would have a "stock" appearance and would be easy to do. About the same powe as a n/a 3800.

Personally I would defiantly do the 94+ Rear Caliper Conversion. 89-93 Rear Calipers are total junk, on the three W-bodies I've worked on so far, I have yet to find one not seized.

x99584849!

The ones on my 1988 were JUNK. The brakes on my 95 are awsome!!!