Practicality of a 92 z34 as a daily driver

Arfur

Well I have a 92 z34 lumina with a jasper motor in it with about 30,000 miles on it, 140k on the car. With that said I was kind of wondering how practical it would be to have this car be my daily driver, at least in the summer. I've heard from some people that it's not a good daily driver but have talked to a few that said they drive theirs all the time.

So far I've only done maintence to it like struts, brakes, tires, tune up, and now I need to replace my cat so it'll run again. But I really like this car and would like to hang on to it for a bit. So I figured I'd ask some other z34 owners their thoughts.

Why not? Unless it's a show car or has major mechanical issues, I don't see how it wouldn't be a good DD. Just keep an eye on the timing belt, change the oil regularly, run some STP injector cleaner once in a while, and keep up on maintenance, and you're good as gold.

I've heard from some people that it's not a good daily driver

I am not understanding why. I have driven it yr round since i got it. I mean i beat the piss out of a tired motor that's why I got a new one. Stupid burnout box abuse at the track took care of the tranny....but I mean regular maintenance and i have no problems.....

My wife's 3.4 Cutlass is her daily driver. It's been her daily driver for 3-1/2yrs so far with no serious problems that I couldn't fix by myself with regular hand tools.

Once I got all the common problems taken care of in the first year of owning it, the subsequent years have been relatively trouble-free.

i don't know where you've heard that these cars aren't good daily transportation.

anyhow, my 93' has been nothing short of the best car i've ever owned, not to mention extremely relyable, in 2 years and 54,000 miles its not once left me down.

Preventitive maintaince is key I think.....I mean people say my RX-7 is the worst pos unreliable thing on the road.....never let me odwn, or let my dad down...just preventiative maintaince and you're good to go.

I drove mine as a daily driver till the trans failed (the tube to lubricate the Diff popped out and no lube got to it)

It was a good dependable car, it ALWAYS started for me - and the only time it left me stranded was when the trans went out.

--Dave.

Preventitive maintaince is key I think.....I mean people say my RX-7 is the worst pos unreliable thing on the road.....never let me odwn, or let my dad down...just preventiative maintaince and you're good to go.

preventive matniance plays so much into how relyable a car is and a 3.4 will royally bite you if its not maintained properly, i have kept after mine prety well, i did intake gaskets prety much for the hell of it, same for plugs and wires last time, and the trans fluid / filter. i didn't need to do any of that, but it all adds up.

well it sounds like I might try and hang on to this car for a bit, I may have just been talking to the wrong people about the reliabilty. If I do hang on to I want to rebuild the tranny for piece of mind and I figure if I do that I'll build up my trans while I'm at it.

I happen to be about an hour and a half away from zzperformance so I think I'll see what they can do transmission wise, but if I redo the trans I'm going to want to upgrade my motor too. I am considering a base turbo kit, but I really don't know too much about turbos or the 3.4 capabilities. I'd rather not do anything internally to the motor, mostly because it only has 30k on it, so this is why I'm thinking turbo. I'm also up to hear anyone else's opinions on getting a buit more out of the motor, I've built a 302 so I'm not scared of working on my own car I just don't know too much about DOHC motors.

I think the Zed34 will be just fine, just as everyone else has said. My aunt has an LQ1 94 CS with a replaced motor and she drives it around 70 miles back and forth everyday. The body of that car has around 180k, but I have no idea about the motor.

As long as you keep up with it and are able to do a lot of work on your own (motor maintaincew-wise) you'll be fine.

Be aware a lot of shops won't touch that motor.