Idiot at the gas station broke gas-door, won't stay closed!

sonick

Is it hard to fix, or do I just need the part and swap it out? This small metal clip peice broke off my 1990 Grand Prix after the guy at the gas station pulled it open too hard :roll:

Its dark right now, so I can't really see where the broken part attaches to. But its near the hinge of the door, I'm not sure if its difficult to access or not.

Anybody have this break on them?

Thanks.

We have em all over the place

I only go to shell and there is only one shell gas station here that I can recall that does FULL SERVE ONLY

I frequent them because its on my way to school and I like being able to check my fluids while the gas monkey pumps my gas

Wait a tick! Are you saying that you have a full service gas station still!?!?!?!?

The state of New Jersey has full-service gas stations exclusively.

I heard somewhere that it is actually against the law to pump your own gas in Jersey.

Kevin

Those springs are real common on 1st gen W's.

You can get them at the dealer for like $2, but they are a REAL pain to install.

I went to Wal Mart and bought a pack of button magnets in the crafts department. Put two of them next to the rubber stops, and the door stays closed.

I tried to replace the spring, but broke the new one in the install. You have to pull the tire, innner fender well, and move the gas filler neck out of the way to replace it. I had to look at another W in the parking lot to figure out how the spring is supposed to go in, and I STILL got it backwards. :x

I'd go for the magnet fix myself. If the gas attendant ever broke my door, I'd be having them fix it.

Oh, BTW, in Oregon it is illegal to pump your own gas. When I first moved here 9 years ago, I stopped to get gas and was happily pumping away when this little old guy came out and asked me if I worked there, I said no and he told me in no uncertain terms to quit doing his job. I've never pumped my gas in Oregon since, neither have I ever gone back to that particular station. Being near the border of Washington State, the man could have checked first if I was from around there and knew the regs before jumping me. I noticed a couple of months ago that that station is now boarded up. A people person he wasn't. lol

Yeah, all gas stations in my town are full-serve only.

Wow, sounds like quite a procedure to replace the actual spring.

I bought some magnetic tape last night, but it was too weak. I'll have to try the button magnets.

Wait a tick! Are you saying that you have a full service gas station still!?!?!?!?

The state of New Jersey has full-service gas stations exclusively.

I heard somewhere that it is actually against the law to pump your own gas in Jersey.

Kevin

no doubt.....I got screamed at once while on my way to Atlantic City....a guy came out yelling "GET AWAY FROM THE PUMP!" ....I thought that it was going to blow up or something :shrug:

lol that is funny, here in california i have yet to see a full service gas station.. i have to get my big arse outta the car and pump haha. but i might be taking a road trip to oregon sometime soon so i might have to deal with that.