Shift Knobs

TheGreenMachine

Hey everyone i pick up this manual shift knob cause it was 99 cents and i couldnt pass it up does anyone know a trick to make it work on and auto trans. some way for it to stay stationary so all i have to do is push it down.

you could get a spare shifter from the junk yard and try trimming some of the metal off the top. then i guess you could use the set screws to mount the shift knob directly to the plastic part.

doesn't sound like a good idea, but i guwess it could be done

your efferts are appreciated at least someone finally anwsered one of my post god dam lol but anyways yeah i have no idea what im going to do but tomarrow im ripping apart my car so im going to think of something maybe.

The only car I can think of that has a press down "manual style" shift knob would be the Aveo/Pontiac Wave...

I don't know if that will help you any, just thought I'd share.

Cut a little bit of plastic off the top of the shifter assembly.Slide the new shifter knob on top. When you want to engage it into gear push the shiter knob down. Works perfect.

• 3 weeks later...

When I replaced the stock shifter on my Malibu, there was a little staple shaped like a "U" and I took it out and the shifter came right off. Are W-bodys not the same as N-bodys??

Yeah, the staple is on the front of the knob.

I get what you're saying about just pushing it down. Sounds like it could work, but how will you keep the knob attached to the shifter rod (as in, not be able to pull it off)?

Well on my Malibu, when I replaced the stock shifter with the other one, it's got a hole in it and the "U" clamp slides through that hole and back into the shifter rod and it holds it in place. I'll try to find a pic on the old Malibu forums to make it easier for you to understand.

No, we understand that concept fine. What this guy is trying to do is use a manual tranmission shifter, which doesn't use a "staple", and needs to move freely on the shift rod, so it can push the white plastic lever thing down.

I would just glue it on the plastic thing.

No, we understand that concept fine. What this guy is trying to do is use a manual tranmission shifter, which doesn't use a "staple", and needs to move freely on the shift rod, so it can push the white plastic lever thing down.

I would just glue it on the plastic thing.

Oh ok. I misunderstood him. Sorry