Dash speakers for a 94 Cutty

mixe olds

Where can I find a good set of speakers for the dash on a 94 cutlass? I'm looking to replace the old ones and put a new set in there place. Also is there a good way to remove the existing ones. It’s hard tying to wedge a screwdriver between the windshield and dash. Thanks

Take the dash pad off, much easier. youll have to get a 9/32socket - 1/4"drive rachet to take them out.

Personally Id suggest Infinity 4" speakers for there. They sound great in my car, and you can get them at Circuit City for like 60 bucks.

Pulling the dash pad isn't the easy way, it's the only way. Prying the speaker grills off will just break them. They are bolted on from behind.

Even with the grills off I couldnt get to the bolts. I had to take the dash pad off. Thats when I discovered my broken IP :lol:

So you broke your speaker grills off, and then realized you had to pull the dashpad off anyway? :lol: Dont know why so many people are scared to take off the dashpad... I can do mine in five minutes.

I hear ya on the broken IP carrier, I have 3 out of the 5 top mounts cracked off, as well as some other cracks around the radio/cluster on mine. :lol: :roll:

Right now my dash pad is off because I'm in the middle of installing a HUD. I just thought while I'm in there I will take care of some other things too.

So you broke your speaker grills off, and then realized you had to pull the dashpad off anyway? :lol: Dont know why so many people are scared to take off the dashpad... I can do mine in five minutes.

I hear ya on the broken IP carrier, I have 3 out of the 5 top mounts cracked off, as well as some other cracks around the radio/cluster on mine. :lol: :roll:

No, no, the speaker grills broke when I hit a bump in the road. :lol: They went flying in the car. ( Thats why I made "custom" ones for it that I put a shit load of silicon on it to make sure they didnt go flying again ) So then once those got taken care of, I looked at how to get the speakers out, and I saw I had to take the dash pad off. I mastered that art of taking it off and puttin it on Ive dont it so many times.

The two on the passengers side are completely broke off. The one in the middle is cracked and doesnt do all to much. I really need to replace it, but dont really wanna.

yah since you have the dash pad off right now, it would be the best time to do it.

5 screws to get dash/radio bezel off, headlight/foglight switch pops out...one 7 mm bolt next to the radio, one kinda where the headlight switch goes...2 7 mm bolts under the glovebox insert...unsnap defroster grill and deflector...2 7mm bolts under that, and it's out ( after you unsnap the glovebox light switch )...

You have to take off the greyish panel by the gauge cluster, phillps head screws 5 of em. Then you need tohave a 9/32socket and a 1/4"drive rachet (works best) and remove bolts beneath the radio, to the right of the gauge cluster an in the top of the glove box, then once you have those you an remove the defrost panels ( theres two ) then theres 3 screws to remove after that. Once you remove all of those, slide the dash pad out.

Did I forget anything I was typing it kinda fast?

EDIT, damnit zack you beat me! :lol:

are you sure they're not 7mm? everything else in the car is metric, i don't see why those bolts would be sae.

oh and what kind of dash speakers do the 94 cuttys have? if they are 4x6, i'd recommend getting some 4x6 plates. infinity makes ok plates, but the 4x6 plates tend to sound a little punchy.

Never agein will i take my dashpad off. I fought so hard to get it back on with my headunit in. i had the pull the pigtail down and into the glove box fusepanel. it was hell gm gave me no room for the deck and the wires at all.

are you sure they're not 7mm? everything else in the car is metric, i don't see why those bolts would be sae.

oh and what kind of dash speakers do the 94 cuttys have? if they are 4x6, i'd recommend getting some 4x6 plates. infinity makes ok plates, but the 4x6 plates tend to sound a little punchy.

I used a 9/32 and it fit so :shrug:

They have a 4" front speaker on top of the dash. A 4x6" will not fit.

ExZion, if you have the H/U out, it makes it much easier!! But welcome to the maddness of dash pads and hedunits! :lol:

no what i mean is that there is no room behind for the pigtail coming off my audiobahn headunit. i couldnt get it in with the dash pad on so i installed the H.U. then put the dash pad back... the speakers under the dash are easy. i thought they were easyer than the rear.

I hate Infinity speakers. They sound fine, but they don't hold up worth a shit.

Agreed. I smoked an Infinity 5 1/4 within 6 months, and I dont even really play my music loud. I wasn't all that taken away with the sound quality either. There are better speakers out there.

I'll have to post pics of mine someday. The poly cones (or whatever plastic they're made of) is all cracked up. One of them actually fell to pieces. The other is still holding together, but not sure how.

I duno Ive had my Infinitys in my car for a couple years. I had to get a new pair of 6x9 cuz I blew em with the shitty amp I had, but I still have the old 4" speakers there and they sound great.

But hey, different speakers will sound good to different people.