Broke my shifter while installing the UB3(OOPS) (pics)

mixe olds

I was installing the UB3 in to my 94 CS by myself, no problem right? No, it slipped out of my hands and onto the shifter button. The button broke clean off. You have to put you thumb into the shifter handle about an inch to take it out of park. My question is how do you change the shifter handle out with a J/Y part? I can't seem to find a way to easily take this thing a part.

DSCF0600.jpg

DSCF0599.jpg

DSCF0598.jpg

LMAO, put it in neutral and look at the front of the shifter there is a staple. Use a screwdriver to pull it out and the shifter will come up no problem.

any GM knob will fit IIRC i used one from a boniville on my monte carlo... it was nice cause it was leather wrapped like my steering wheel... butnow i have a cool custom shifter knob

If it seems like it won't come off.....fucking grab and REEF HARD!...the one on my Lumina WOULDN'T budge after sitting for 16 years....but with enough force it popped off

make sure that you have your face directly over the handle while pulling up after removing the clip....that way you can really see what is going on.

been there, done that...

Might wanna tap the shifter with a rubber hammer a few times, get it losened up a bit. I swapped the one from my 88 GP to my 95, it's like a "short throw' now.. :lol: