new owner... 90 tgp...got some ?'s

praise_the_lowered_444

hey, my name is kevin, im from central mich. i just recently picked up a 1990 Red McLaren TGP from a guy that had it posted in my car club forum. I have a few problems with it however im tryin to tweak out.

1st: horrible horrible missing. engine misses terribly especially when fired up for the first time of the day. ive replaced the tps on it, fixed an exhaust leak where the exhaust meets the turbo. new plugs/wires... motor is very clean and well taken care of, but it misses bad when you accelerate. once you've punched through like 3,000 rpms she cleans up a little. im so bummed out because they are such a rare find that no one has any advice. faulty knock sensor ?

2nd: noticed a popping, snapping sound from the pass. side front of car. replaced the axel thinking thats what it had to be and no difference. i notice this awful sound/vibration usually while braking or turning right.

3rd: think perhaps my master cylinder may be shot? the brake is as stiff as a cement block and barely slows the car down unless i pull a charlie horse in my calf trying to stop...any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated...

Sounds like you've got the two biggest problems associated with TGP's, blown crossover and anti-lock brakes are shot. :lol: The PowerMaster III is the braking system you have, and it's probably shot to hell.

The missing could possibly be the coilpacks, though.

I'm not a TGP expert, but this is one of the best forums to educate yourself, you've come to the right place.

what tps did you use? dealer tps or autozone? these cars are picky about certain things, that is a dealer item. other items I woulod not recommend the dealer at all. like plugs and wires. I would get the new AC Delco Iridium tipped plugs though, gapped at .040 or .039. no .045 gap, thats too wide for boost. you should get stainless spiral core wires too, much less resistance.

an IAC motor should be a dealer item too, and the mat and map. pick up a vacuum harness and a boost controller too at the dealer because these two are pretty cheap anyway. and the boost lines should probably just be replaced with fuel hose because they are discontinued.

The PowerMaster III is the braking system you have, and it's probably shot to hell. I'm not a TGP expert, but this is one of the best forums to educate yourself, you've come to the right place.

Hey, don't be freaking out this new owner Mr. Expert :lol: :D with "Shot to hell" :wink: uhhh, so quit that :lol: might not be all that bad, what he says means the pump is not running and since I have never ever heard of a pump failing yet :D , I would just check the ABS Pump Motor Fuse and then Relay if that does not get things back to normal 8). If once the fuse is replaced (or maybe its missing) and the pump motor won't shut off then its the relay stuck/closed and needs replaced, and these relays do this most of all :!: when someone runs a bad accumulator for too long :roll: . The accum is good for around 6 years maybe more, so I always just replace it, flush the lines and the MC, replace the relay and be done with it on my cars when first bought, and have never had problems with the 3 PMIIIs I have :wink:

I am gone, only had a chance to come here and maybe help the new owner feel a little better about his car :wink: , though the roughness could be a leaky FPR too, spark plug wires wrong place? as with the stuff I said on the ABS as a must-do-for-yourelf when you first buy one of these cars (or any 3.1L), replace the crank sensor now, just do it 8).

Jeff M

what tps did you use? dealer tps or autozone? these cars are picky about certain things, that is a dealer item. other items I woulod not recommend the dealer at all. like plugs and wires. I would get the new AC Delco Iridium tipped plugs though, gapped at .040 or .039. no .045 gap, thats too wide for boost. you should get stainless spiral core wires too, much less resistance.

an IAC motor should be a dealer item too, and the mat and map. pick up a vacuum harness and a boost controller too at the dealer because these two are pretty cheap anyway. and the boost lines should probably just be replaced with fuel hose because they are discontinued.

:?: 8)

Jeff M

:?: 8)

Jeff M

sorry I was rambling about that stuff, he said he got a TPS. :shock: wow cool. :oops:

quote:"noticed a popping, snapping sound from the pass. side front of car. replaced the axel thinking thats what it had to be and no difference. i notice this awful sound/vibration usually while braking or turning right"

This is the only thing I havent done .Im getting a new axel tomorrow morning. already did lower ball joints,wheel bearings and rack and pinion and there is still a creaking sound when I turn the wheel. anyway I dont know what the popping and snapping could be other than maybe a piece of trim catching on the tire.

The PowerMaster III is the braking system you have, and it's probably shot to hell. I'm not a TGP expert, but this is one of the best forums to educate yourself, you've come to the right place.

Hey, don't be freaking out this new owner Mr. Expert :lol: :D with "Shot to hell" :wink: uhhh, so quit that :lol: might not be all that bad...Jeff M

And DON'T sugar coat it Jeff!!! :lol: PTL444 The PowerMaster III is a horrible braking system, WHEN it is not working and the parts are expensive. So don't kid yourself in thinking that it will be a "cheap and easy" fix. If you have ANY mechanic skills at all, use them. Don't make the mistake of taking the car to Midas or Joe's Stop 'Em Shop and think you are going to come out of there for anything less than your first born or maybe minus a couple of limbs. The system is a very unique system, it is electric over hydraulic with pressurized assist... HUGE overkill for a passenger car. The system will work without the pressurized assist, for a while... But it will wear out the electric pump in the mean time... Mine has been working without the pressurized assist for about 2 years now, but I don't drive it daily (currently-not a mile in 6 months) and the pressure cylinder is (again) the NEXT thing on the "going to replace" list. If your ABS light and BRAKE light is on and blinking....get used to it, VERY typical on TGP's from what I have read. Run your ABS codes and see what you have going on with your brakes and let us know and SOMEONE on here more than likely has run into the same problems and can offer advice. As for the exhaust problem that you "fixed"...what did you do? If it is anything less than replacing the Y-pipe, it won't last. JeffM (not a paid endorsement btw) sells the BEST replacement Y-pipe at a reasonable price. I personally have one and was VERY pleased with it. My TGP had a lot of idle/run issues that went away after the Y-pipe swap. And Garrett Powered is right on the money when he said that these cars are picky. Get on here (W-Body) and use the search function on things before you buy, may save you money in the long run, especially on "performance" aftermarket parts for the TGP (they DON'T exist at AutoZone or Napa, you have to pretty much get them here or GM) Well, that behind me, WELCOME to the forum... If we have completely scared you, sorry :lol: and I will start the bidding on your car at $100...

engine misses terribly especially when fired up for the first time of the day

I had the same problem even after changing coils & wires (the obvious). I would

replace the crank sensor, that cured my problem but only found it when the car

got to the point where it wouldn't even start. Not too hard to get to and change

but the trouble is that they swell over time & have to be carefully worked out.

try not to break it off in the block because it has happened to some. These are

all common problems so take care of them one at a time and you will have a

great car! I recommend anyone who owns one of these cars get the service

manual & become familiar with it otherwise it can be very costly to have a dealer

or garage mechanic replace things as trial & error. Even dealership mechanics

are not likely to know much about the TGP. Most people here know alot more

than they do! Good Luck

awesome...thanks for all the advice and help. ill def. investigate more into the above-mentioned suggestions. if i come up with anything more elaborate ill post it up...thanks again

sorry I was rambling about that stuff, he said he got a TPS. :shock: wow cool. :oops:

quote:"noticed a popping, snapping sound from the pass. side front of car. replaced the axel thinking thats what it had to be and no difference. i notice this awful sound/vibration usually while braking or turning right"

This is the only thing I havent done .Im getting a new axel tomorrow morning. already did lower ball joints,wheel bearings and rack and pinion and there is still a creaking sound when I turn the wheel. anyway I dont know what the popping and snapping could be other than maybe a piece of trim catching on the tire.

I am lazy, "Search" found: http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2819&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15 by some guy name Jeff M again :roll:

Got to go, later, bye 8)

Jeff M

Jeff M:"New ball joint was bad, gave clunks when turning the steering wheel under a driven load, but not without a driven steering load."

I read this, and that is exactly how I would put it. Thanks, I was just leaving for Wade's shop, and printed out that thread.

well i am almost convinced that the coil pack is the problem. however, i think i am going to let this car go. i just gave $1,700.00 for it and will let it go for $1,200.00 if anyone on here is interested. it has 140,000 miles on it and i do have plenty of pics... post back if interested or hit up the cell at 989-621-3889[/u]