Moonroof Install?

timdjohn

Ok, I picked up a parts car the other day a 1992 GP SE coupe. I have a 1992 SE Coupe that I am going to transfer many of the options over to.

On thing I would really like to add to mine is the glass moonroof from the parts car. at first i didnt think it was possible with out major body work, but I started stripping the parts car over the weekend and i find the moonroof was installed by ASC. wasn't that the Company that did the turbo coupe mods? I also have a sticker on the Door Jam that says "this car has been modified to Fed Regulations by ASC. blah blah blah.

So I ripp the head liner out and find that they bolt the original headliner to the roof and cut out a hole in it to fit the moonroof. and my moonroof is a drop in place sort of think. Best way I can discribe it is it is built like an aftermarket part. not a factory welded in thing.

So is all of you other guys with moonroofs like this in the 1st gen w bodys? or do you think the dealer/owner sent the car out to have one installed. I also looked in the factory repair book and mine looks simalar to the one in the book but not totaly the same.

Oh also the sunroof swith is a 3 buttomn affair. one to totaly shut the power off to it, another to tilt/slide, and the 3rd to close it. I have never seen a switch set up like this. and the switch has the ASC logo on it.

any how I am going to pull it out of this car and see how fesable it is to cut a hole in my roof and install this guy in there. anyone else tried this crazy idea?

thanks for any help.

The sunroofs with the factory stamped roofs aren't made by ASC and have a GM-looking two way (toggle) switch. They're made by some Holland company.

The aftermarket/dealer sunroofs (where the hole was cut afterwards) WERE made by ASC, and as far as I know, they all got the controls as described in the first post.

My grandfather's '98 SHO has the same deal as far as his sunroof controls go. It's a non-factory ASC roof.

The sunroofs with the factory stamped roofs aren't made by ASC and have a GM-looking two way (toggle) switch. They're made by some Holland company.

The aftermarket/dealer sunroofs (where the hole was cut afterwards) WERE made by ASC, and as far as I know, they all got the controls as described in the first post.

My grandfather's '98 SHO has the same deal as far as his sunroof controls go. It's a non-factory ASC roof.

Oh! ok I understand then. So most likely then my car had this sunroof installed by the dealer once he had recived the car.

Well I guess that is a good thing for me as I should be able to transfer it all over to my other car I am customizing.

Thanks for the info

One moe quick question. Does the Gm style switch work bother the slide back and tilt feature? Sinch I am doing a custom instal I would much rather have a single switch then this 3 switch setup. I am going to relocate the switch to the dash anyhow as I have always hated sunroof switches mounted overhead.

My regal has an ASC sunroof in it, and it has the 2 way GM looking toggle switch :?

My regal has an ASC sunroof in it, and it has the 2 way GM looking toggle switch :?

Like I said, "as far as I know." Probably came down to who was doing the install.

And the GM switch will probably take a little work to use if you have the ASC controls now. The GM one is just a mechanical rocker switch with seperate relays/parts to control opening/venting/closing. The ASC one has single touch electronic buttons. It's not likely to be plug and play.

I would consult a body shop or installation pro (no offense, guys) before I cut a hole in the roof.

FWIW, the moonroof in my '92 Lumina is a Sky-Top brand.

I would consult a body shop or installation pro (no offense, guys) before I cut a hole in the roof.

FWIW, the moonroof in my '92 Lumina is a Sky-Top brand.

Well normally I would say that is good advie, but I just never trust body shops or mechanics in general. Not to toot my own horn but I find I know more then many of those I consult. if I was to take it to a body shop to get an opnion they would try and tell me that ONLY they could do this and that stupid little me would not be able to do such a feat.

I guess it all depends on your skill level. Ihave yet to have any job scare me off. I have built many rods and bikes so a simple hole is easy. you just have to use sheet metal nibbler as to not warp the metal. there will also be a cross brace in the center that shall have to be cut out as well.