Stock Delco CD Player Upgrade

DOHCRagtopguy

If I get a newer model Delco AM/FM CD player, would it work with my steering wheel controls, does anybody know? I'm talking about, say a 99 or 00 model out of a Chevy or other GM vehicle.

I'm totally spoiled by my steering wheel controls now, but my CD player doesn't work and rather than pay out 2 bills to get it fixed, I may just upgrade if it is feasible.

Car is a 93 Cutty Convertible.

Thanks

Really? Because they specifically state that they were one of the first to come out with an interface for the early 90's Oldsmobiles.

Unless that's just for the Bose stereo option-which I don't have.

Well, that's why I would like to know about later model Delco radio/CD units. I'd rather go that route if I can. Seem to be a lot of them up on e-bay for decent prices.

Their website says 94-01.

PAC has interfaces that work on 89-93, but they're infrared solutions which mean you'll need to find a discrete place to mount the IR transmitter.

Do you still have your origional deck? My sister ran into the same problem with her grand prix she had a tape deck and wanted to keep her steering wheel controls with a cd player. She couldn't find a Delco cd player for less then $300-$400 so she got a 12 disc cd changer witch go for $150-$200 and got to keep her tape player and steering wheel controls. I kind of wish I would I thought about doing that instead of buying a aftermarket cd player cause I like being able to hit radom its kinda like a juke box.

Yes I still have the original deck. I am electronically challenged or I'd try LukeZ34's repair method. I guess the key thing is to see whether the newer decks have the plug in the back to work with the steering controls.

Either that or break down and cough up the 2 bills that it'll cost to fix the stocker.

I've kind of ruled out an aftermarket one, I like to keep the stock look, I'm an old fashioned type of guy! :D

The newer ones have the plug, but I don't know if the signals are the same.

I'm guessing YES because the factory CD player in the '94 looks identical to the one that was available in my '89, but the two had very different steering wheel control signals (serial data in '89-93, analog resistance in 94).

Really now. Do you think Ma & Pa were worried about steering wheel controls in their 61' bubble top Impala? Nope. Mine weren't. :lol:

I quote my father, after he saw the steering wheel controls in my GTP.

"Whass allem' buttons fer ona wheelarr'?" :lol: :lol: :lol:

MP3 capable decks are the way to go, IMO. When my Alpine CDA-D855 dies, I'm gonna get an MP3 deck.

There is a very easy solution to this as I have found out.

the stereo has to be made to work with steering wheel controls from the factory. So here is what you do....

Get the GM part # and call this guy

SOUTHERN ELECTRONICS Inc.

Remember... http://www.CarRadio.com

1-800-476-2880

Ask to speak to a technician. They are really helpful and very nice people.Tell him what you are trying to do and give him the GM part#. He can look on his list and tell you if it is Steering Wheel controled.

I bought mine a couple of years ago from a stereo shop right outside Huntsville Alabama, Sound Depot. I absolutely love it. It's been in two different cars, and still sounds great. The BBE processor must have some kind of black magic going on in it, cause that thing makes a world of difference. The red lighting on it matched my GTP's lighting, but the green's a little bright for the Gutlass though.

Guest cutlass88er

iPod is the way to go! You can use it with ANY radio. I had it hooked up to my stock radio with a cassette adapter, but when that died I got the FM transciever and now I can have it in my belt clip and listen to my song thru the FM radio. I can store 2000 songs(I cheaped out and got the 10GB not the 20). and find any in 3 seconds and I have the kelw holder that odd enough matches my "Dark Garnet Red" interior, w00t!

Now it'll be awsome when I get my dad's hand me down units and amp, I already have kick a$$ speakers 8)

I was told by a yard and by the dealer that newer than 97'and up GM CD players will not work in anything older. The mounting brackets are totally different and thats why a CD player from a 94' is 250$ and one outta a 97 is 120$. Anyone know if this is true? I want to get a Delco to maintain a factory appearance but I want to do it cheaply.