Silverstars are expensive!

dbtk2

Holy crap I didn't know they were that much. Went to autozone today to get a foglight bulb for my GP GT. So I have them look up the number and they were out of the regular ones. All they had was a silverstar so I figured fuck it, I'll just get two. Then I got to thinking about it and decided to get the headlight bulbs too. The set of headlight bulbs was $36.99 and the foglight bulbs were $19.99 ea.! I didn't know they were that much. But they should be a lot better than the stock bulbs that were in it. I couldn't see shit.

I'm about to go to the store so we'll see.

Shawn

yeah they are! Im still trying to find a good bulb where I work, since I dont wanna pay 40 bucks when I can pay about 10. Ive tried a couple, some work some didnt. (like the 100w I have in there now, I think those will get taken out since I dont feel like running new wires...)

Hope they work for ya

Yeah, I bought some converted lights but one of the bulbs was bad, so I just popped in a cool-blue... much cheaper and still better than stock.

The Cool Blues aren't bad, but the Silverstars blow them away. As far the Nighthawks..I dont really have an opinion. Never seen them or tried them. I suspect they wont be as blue as Silverstars though... as their glass is completely clear.

Jay, you can spend ten bucks here and there until you find a decent headlight, or you can just breakdown and buy Silverstars and be done with it. :wink:

I really, really like mine...

Well they seem to work great, but the one thing I noticed is my low beams are brighter than my high beams since I also got silverstar fog lights and the fog lights turn off with the high beams. Time to fix that so they don't turn off I guess.

Shawn

Well they seem to work great, but the one thing I noticed is my low beams are brighter than my high beams since I also got silverstar fog lights and the fog lights turn off with the high beams. Time to fix that so they don't turn off I guess.

Shawn

I agree. The fog ST's are great. I should just rewire to have them stay on as well...meh...we'll see.

I love mine as well....paid $100cdn for all 4 lights (low and high beams)...and i think my fog lights are just regular halogen...bright enough though

I've found that Sylvania Xtravision blubs work better the the Silverstars... at least in the 9007 package. On my car the light was whiter with the silverstars... but there was less overall light... and the areas between the 'hot spots' were less filled in. I have been through 2 sets of Xtravision bulbs in the last 4 years... and I've been really happy with them. Plus they cost less then Silverstars.

I noticed a nice improvement putting Xtravision bulbs in my sister's GP (compared to the stock bulbs).

Oh, and you guys know blue light reflects off water more, right? That means you see less in the rain... and so does everyone else because they're blinded by the glare :wink:

More important then bulbs is having the lights aimed properly. Have you guys checked our the how-to on Daniel Stern Lighting? People always complain about the stock Jetta lights... but after aiming them properly, they work really good!

-Jason

Well I got em in a went for a drive. There not bad at all! But I think I have em adjusted a wee bit too high, but thats ok Ill lower it tomorrow, but hell of a lot better than stock. Once I get it adjusted right Im sure Ill like em alot more.

BTW, Ive done every single adjustment on my car for the lights and it still seems like there pointed to the right and not pointing straight? :shrug:

That's by design.....well for the low beams anyway - you want to by pointing your lights slighty to the right so you don't blind on coming traffic.....pointing them straight will have more light directed to oncoming vehicle. However, your high beams should be pointing more straight so you can cover the whole roadway

Silverstars....bah humbug. if you want to buy them, get them on eBay. thats what i did when i got 9006s, 9005s, and 893s for my GTP. cost me $65 total for 6 bulbs. fog bulbs kept burning out so i just never used my fogs. silverstars are whiter, but i think the bulbs im working now are much brighter than the silverstars. just need to reseat them in the sealed beam assemblies!

BTW, Ive done every single adjustment on my car for the lights and it still seems like there pointed to the right and not pointing straight? :shrug:

I'm having the same problem with my 99 monte carlo...its kind of annoying considering the high-beams are pointing perfectly straight while the lows are pointing right... WTF?!

What bulbs do you have now? The bulbs I did have in there where brighter than the sliverstars but I didnt wanna be running 100w bulbs.....

HiLite Superwhites purchased from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7000K-XENON-HID-9005-9006-SUPERWHITE-BULBS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8042679172QQrdZ1

trust me, they are nearly as bright as represented in the pictures for the auction. NOTE: i only say nearly because the sealed beam housings reflect about as well as a non-oiled significant other.

What bulbs do you have now? The bulbs I did have in there where brighter than the sliverstars but I didnt wanna be running 100w bulbs.....

HiLite Superwhites purchased from this guy:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7000K-XENON-HID-9005-9006-SUPERWHITE-BULBS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ36476QQitemZ8042679172QQrdZ1

trust me, they are nearly as bright as represented in the pictures for the auction. NOTE: i only say nearly because the sealed beam housings reflect about as well as a non-oiled significant other.

Interesting.....I might have to pick up a set.

I'm having the same problem with my 99 monte carlo...its kind of annoying considering the high-beams are pointing perfectly straight while the lows are pointing right... WTF?!

The worst part is when you turn left and your lights are pointed right.

Heza, very interesting, Ill have to look at some in the near future

one of my silverstars burnt out last night :bash: ...lasted a year and a half though...i guess thats not too bad....now the question is, do i wanna replace it with another silverstar or try those eurodesign bulbs out instead!?...hmmm....decisions decisions... :think:

if you guys get HiLite Superwhites from that guy on eBay, mention my eBay ID (Hessa) as a referral...maybe he'll hook me up with something cuz ive gotten 3 different orders from him cuz i either A) order wrong stuff by accident or B) break them accidently before installing

one of my silverstars burnt out last night :bash: ...lasted a year and a half though...i guess thats not too bad....now the question is, do i wanna replace it with another silverstar or try those eurodesign bulbs out instead!?...hmmm....decisions decisions... :think:

Believe me dude, stay FAR away from those bulbs..