Power Mirror Problem: Moves Up/Down But Not Left/Right

91GranSport

I have a problem with my power mirrors. The driver-side power mirror can move up and down but it does not move left or right. However, when I switch control to the passenger-side mirror, it moves both up and down as well as left and right. What can be the cause of this, and how can I fix it? Thanks.

There are these threaded...thingumabobs on the back of your mirrors that make them move. Sometimes, if they are worn, the mirror goes too far out and hey can't thread back in to move the mirror. Try moving it by hand while pushing the switch in the same direction. They thingumabobs may catch, and it'll start working again. There may be something else with a better explanation than this though. Does it make any sounds when you push the control? Anyways, I had a similar problem, but my thingumabobs were so worn that my mirror fell out going down the road.

punch the left or right side of the mirror.....youll hear some clicking at which point you think you broke it, but you actually fixed it. youll jam the threded thingamabobs back in like 91GranSport said. See? violence works wonders!! :D

P.S. pushing its lightly on the left or right side will work also, but as always i recommend kicking or punching :wink:

Had this problem. Are you good at soldering? You need to take the switch apart. Most likely there is a broken trace, which needs to be replaced with a wire. ( follow where the trace was supposed to go, and solder a wire from the starting point, to the ending point.) Any water on the windshield, will end up on the mirror switch, if the window is cracked. (No smoking when its raining!!!!!!)

had the same problem on a 92 safari van plus the windows and locks wouldn't work... 11 of the 12 wires running through the conduit between the car and the door had broken over the years.

just solder and heat shrink the wires together or use crimp connectors.