97 GP Delay wipers - in the up position during pause???

Doug Goodwrench

1997 GP - When the wipers are on delay, during the pause they are in the up or vertical position.

It's annoying according to the owner of the car.

He has tried a new motor and changed clocking positions on the wiper mechanism.

Any body know if this is normal??

I don't really think it is. (My '93 Lumina and '90 TGP don't do it.)

I didn't get a chance to search that hard, I don't have time.....

Getting ready to go to a Cincinati Bearcats Game!!!

(1st time I've attended a sports event in about 20 years)

(Other than car related events)

Thanks.

The wipers will be in the "resting/down" position when on delay. Think of it being on low, and basically stopping once they hit the bottom for delay. At least thats how it is on my 01. They should only be on the windshield about an inch or two at most.

I've seen lots of Montana vans that will go to the full vertical position when you turn them off. I'm not sure what the cause of this is, sorry... :(

If you've already changed out the motor, change out the switch. The "electronics" are built into the motor (no separate module) so the only 2 components that could possibly go wrong are the switch and the motor...

In the off position the wipers are in the down position.

Low and High work like normal.

In delay position it works but causes the wipers to pause in the completely vertical position.

Hmm,

Wiper motor = $90.99 ... Done.

Wiper switch = $359.00 ... Uh, no.

Impressing the boss 'cause you fixed his car ... f**k it at that price.

All I can say is that it must be one complicaed mother of a switch.

I need more concrete evidence that it could be the switch.

Anybody got an old one to tear apart and see what makes it tick????

Thanks for the input.

Does the switch control it or is it controlled by relay(s)? Obviously if there are some relays involved testing them to see if they are bad wouldn't be a bad idea.

Shawn

My dad's 1996 Suburban had the wiper switch replaced under a recall....cold solder joints caused the wipers to not work at all in delay mode...some times in low and high modes (we found out ina rain storm of course haha)....anyway, could it be possible something similar is happening, like some connection go crossed in the switch or something????

• 3 weeks later...

Any update on a fix for this problem? We have a GPGT in our auto class that is doing the exact same thing. The wipers park in the up position on delay. We have no idea what could be causing this.

OK. All the TSB tells me to do is to install a couple of new components. Components that this car was already equipped with from the factory. Not to mention that the TSB says they ALWAYS park in the up position. This car only does it while it's in delay.

My dad has a 97 SE that did that twice, each time it ended up costing 500 bucks canadian a pop. Depending on where you are from, if is a snowy climate, lots of times the wiper arms are bent cause ppl will be impatient and turn on their wipers while the ice is frozen to the wiper. This bends them and then they wont go down. They do say its a recall. Check the Drivers side wiper arm as it will be the one thats most likely bent. If it is, you can try to straighten out the arm, buy a new one and hope to got you didnt mess the modual and motor for the wiper blades. My dad learned that lesson twice in two weeks. Anyways those are my only solutions for that. Mind you, you say that its only doing it in pause on delay, his car only did it when u shut off the wipers lol. It looked like a Nascar windshield, i thought it looked cool. :lol: