sealed beam bulb swap question *URGENT*

Heza

ok, so my car is back together less the hood that ill put on tonight.

since my silverstars broke on the passenger side when i had my accident, i went and got all new bulbs. hilite superwhites to be exact.

they burn 7000K and are damn nice looking. however, the question is...there is a faint bit of smoke that trickles from the silicone area. all bulbs do this and i dont understand. when i did my silverstars, i dont ever remember having this problem.

im using high temp silicone so im not sure what it could be. im going to get a thermal off the sealed beam assembly and check the temp when the lights are on to see if its past the treshold of the silicone.

i guess, any ideas would be great.

oh.........my car as it sits now:

DSC03372.jpg

If your getting smoke like that, the bulb your using is too hot burning for the lights/surrounds to handle. Youll start to ruin the lights. 7000K is a wee bit too much for miniquads. and if its coming from the silicon area, that means your burning the silicon.

I just did this swap with some lazer blue's (and no there not ricer blue) Ill find out how they work tonight.

I didn't even use high heat silicone on my silverstars, and they dont smoke.

I dont know what kind of high heat silicone you used, but I'd look around for something that would take the heat better.

mine are burnign at 8500k and no smoke?

well, what the hell....

thanks for the inputs guys. im gonna try resiliconing them. the silicone i use is permatex ultra black. same stuff i used when i did silverstars.

guess im just gonna have to finger it out this weekend.

thanks!

You know, it would be worth a shot to use just plain old clear RTV silicone. Like I said, I've used in in my high beams and low beams for over a year now with no problems at all.

.....even with the black bumper, your car is still teh sex 8)

thank you! :D its green by the way, but its gonna get a bra for a couple months until i have time to prep and paint my car.

oooh.....many things are going to happen with my car in a couple months. :) i literally have a pile of things to install, but want to get my car complete first.

Why are you running such high K bulbs? HIDs run at ~4300-4500k, anything higher is pretty much just for looks, since that is about the temperature of actual daylight. It should be the watt/amp rating not the temperature of the bulb causing the problem?

well, thats the thing...they are still 55W/65W factory spec bulbs, just hotter. i dont know....im going to worry about it some other time after i change oil, tranny fluid, and thermostat since it got stuck somehow.

but....as for melting the harness, i dont think thats it. the glass housing gets fairly hot and the harness is not hot at all.

keep with the ideas though! id love to hear them!

oh yeah...and THANKS!

If you didnt use high temp silicon thats prolly what it is.

I just put in some new bulbs that I have up at work, and all I can say is that there brighter than the sliverstars :wink:

BTW, those bulbs are 100w. Think I should find a good pair of bulbs in 55/65w?

I just put in some new bulbs that I have up at work, and all I can say is that there brighter than the sliverstars :wink:

i wouldnt do 100W unless you upgrade your factory wiring

i wouldnt do 100W unless you upgrade your factory wiring

:werd:

And like I said, I haven't had any problems with regular old silicone. Silicone in general can take a lot of heat, high temp or not... :shrug: